New car advice

JB1.0e

Hello,

I am intending to order my new car at the weekend and just trying to find out if any one has experience of VW's 1.4TSI 160ps engine? I have read some reports that say its really good others say it sounds a bit weedy. The dealer had not got one available for test drive at the time I visited. Also are there any problems with this kind of powerplant, it has a supercharger and a turbocharger so I would have thought the potential for trouble is there?

I bought my Lupo with out doing much research and since then I found that the Sport tends to be hit with all the problems and I would like to avoid any trouble in the future.

many thanks

James

Don't order without driving one for at least a couple of hours first. Do your trip to work and back in it in the same style you'd drive it. If they can't find you a car to test, tell them to sod the order off. You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes or a suit without trying them on, wht spend £000's on a car without trying it.

As for faults, I'm not your man for that. Other than Clarkson had great hopes for the MK5 Golf with the twin charged engine and found it very lacking in entertainment value.

I have read a few road tests and they seem to be wildly varying! One said it is the pick of the range, then Perfomance VW said that when it was in the MK5 Golf it was disappointing and not to bother just buy the GTI. It appeals because it seems to offer the same MPG, Co2 emissions but with better performance than my Lupo with out being license threatening.

I take your point on the test drive, when i ordered the Lupo I had a thirty minute test in a Sport Lupo and did not drive above 3,000rpm because the dealer was in the car i thought it would be frowned upon! After 20mins the guy said just floor the thing you don't feel the benefit until the top end. I had quite a long drive in a 2.0tsi and the dealer reckoned the performance was not much different. The car felt brilliant though! He did say he would look around their dealer network for one they have several outlets and he seemed to think there was one around somewhere...My commute is a 300mile round trip so I think they would object to me piling that many miles on having said that they let Dad borrow a Phaeton for the same trip so I might be lucky. I am very impatient though and he told me that I am looking at a 3month wait for a factory order.

I just have to exercise restraint with the options list and choose the colour.

I thought they would have no trouble getting one for me to test, Mercedes would take one from the press fleet and send it to the relevant delaer but apparently the the 1.4 and TDI are later addiotions to the range and most people are going for the 2.0TSi so thatis what most dealers have. I suspected this was a method of pushing a 2.0?