Newbie with a question

Benja

Well had my silver six speed for a year and is truly a great Urban Assault Vehicle and the perfect stablemate for my Exige twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" /> (something for the weekend sir!).

Anyhow just stumbled across this forum and thought the collective may be able to help. The amber 'check emissions' light keeps coming on and Chiswick VW seem unable to get to the bottom of it. They have dicked about with it (the first time) and changed both Lambda Sensors (the second time) and still the ******* lights up again within a day or so. It is booked in with them again and thought they could probably use a few pointers. Car is completely stock.

I had a quick search and saw that a few others have had this problem but could not see what the resolution was. Any clues?? Any help would be much appreciated...

I take it VW have done a CAT test?

Sorry f that sounds like a silly responce, its just Ive been trying to get one done by VW for over a year.. somthing tells me they dont like doing them ithout being pushed.

Could be almost anything - without knowing the fault code, there's too many variables. The engine check light will come on for a bunch of reasons, not just `emissions-related`. The VW garage will read the fault code, so you could always ask them what it is! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

As they're mucking about with lambda sensors, it seems likely it is giving a warning of running too rich or too lean. Alternatively, as Tigz said, it could be that the catalytic convertor is not working properly. The too rich/too lean fault codes are commonly caused by a faulty lambda sensor, but can be caused by a number of other issues - blocked injector, dodgy wiring loom, caked spark plugs, blocked air inlet, even bad fuel.

You could phone up VW Customer Services and complain about the time it's taken to get it fixed - they may get VW's head technical department involved, who tend to have a lot more ideas about tricky problems - the mechanics in the dealership tend to follow the VW instructions, and if that doesn't fix it, they run out of ideas.

Welcome to the club Benja. A GTi and an Exige - sounds plain greedy to me tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Must be a tough call on a Sunday morning which one to collect the papers in! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Good luck with getting the Loop fixed. Having seen the kit they hook the car up to in the VW workshop I'd have thought it would have diagnosed the problem. With my recent problem (engine speed sensor- G28) the computer identified the exact part of the engine electronics/ sensor that was faulty.

J

HIi and welcome i have had 3 lupo gti and this has happened to me on all with none being resolved my current has the light on and they dont know how to fix it .

They also have changed my lambor sensors and ecu six times. The vag tool they plug in just does not tell them whats wrong just points to the lambor sensor all the time.

Let me no the outcome.