Gti exhaust

koolkidnumberone

How old is your GTI?

To give you an example...

Lupo Sport's share the same exhaust as the GTI, the only different being the chrome tailpipe but they are both twin exit if you look carefully.

My Sport exhaust was 7.5 years old and had clocked up 60,000 miles before something fell loose inside the back box, after that it started to sound like a lawnmower and got worse day by day.

After market systems will cost you £300 which is the same cost as a custom made one.

If you want grunt, get a BMC instead! Really compliments the stock GTi engine and obviously much cheaper than a whole exhuast system.

Dont get a straight through coz theyre just plain silly :P

Ecuse my stupidity but by bmc do you mean some sort of different air intake? ive read on here somewhere that bmc is no longer available due to the recession the manufacturer has shut down?

Where would i be able to get this? Would i have to modify the engine cover in order to fit this?

The car is 51 plate, registered 2002 so its 6 years old!

Straight through is just plain silly? i thought that you would get the most power and noise from a straight through system?

Are there companies selling GTi exhausts?

Thanks for any help much appreciated!

Yeah, BMC CDA simply replaces the stock airbox and make its sound very yummy indeed. Its only IMO that straight throughs are just plain silly, had one on my Audi and it was just plain obscene if im honnest.

Many places do "off the shelf" exhuasts for the GTi, the main one of which being Janspeed which gets the vote looks wise from alot of people on here, but of course you could do down the fully cutsom route eg Longlife, Powerflow, Wolfrace etc where the exhuast is fabricated pretty much from scratch and of course you can chose your own tailpipes.

Ive got a longlife cat back mid-sport system with a BMC and i love the sound - not too loud, just a nice purr and it rumbles when coming down through the revs. coupled with the BMC grunt and the stock engine noise its perfect.

However, it took absolutely ages to soot up/bed in, so it was very "breathy" for the first few months.

Its all just a matter of opinion at the end of the day ;)

Well that sounds like just the sort of thing i wanted to do, think i will go with the custom built cat back exhaust, made the mistake of a straight though from manifold back (decat) on my last car and gettin an MOT was difficult to say the least!

I'd like to get this induction kit but tbh i cant find anywhere to buy it from? is it the one with the tube that runs down to the front bumper?

I bet it does sound nice i didnt realise there was a bedding in period, why is that?

I like this sound, love it as it comes down the revs

Gonna wait for the standard exhaust to start giving me some trouble first so i feel its justified even though i know they do tend to give you life time gaurentees on the custom stainless steels

Try ebay, there's always a few on there. second hand wise be prepaired to pay anything from 60-120 depending on condition of course.

Most custom places when doing a cat-back with ask you the type of sound you are looking for (bearing in mind this differs from car to car) normally along the lines of standard, Mid-sport, full sport and race. Basically they mean what size bore (actual pipes under the car) you'd like, and how small to make your new back box.

With my Mid-Sport system ive got slightly larger pipes than standard but my back box is seriously tiny, almost like a bean can compaired to the standard, then ive got slightly bigger tail pipes (i *think* theyre 3.5 or 3...cant remember now) . Have a look in my reader's ride thread (Snowy) and there's a picture on the first page of them.

There will always be a "bedding in" bit invloved, it just gives the new exhuast time to soot up and sound less brethy. This is normally only a few thousand miles but mine took ages for some strange reason :lol:

Also be aware when chosing your tailpipes, the standard tails run seperately off the backbox. When i changed mine, i chose a twin tailpip which is connected via a U piece, rather than each running seperately off the new backbox. No real side effects to this, other than the right one gets dirtier than the left!! Some do say though that it causes a rasping noise, although this is rare or only noticeable on start up.

:)

IV JUST HAD A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM AND 4-2-1 MANIFOLD FITTED TO MY 2001 LUPO GTI+MY WORD YOU CAN FEEL A POWER INCREASE. ALSO FITTED A POWERTEC INDUCTION KIT (RATHER THAN A BMC,LIKE EVERYONES GOT!) AND THAT HAS A REAL THROATY SOUND. SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOING TO BITE UR LEGS OFF NOW! GOT THE SYSTEM DOWN AT LONGLIFE AND WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND THEM TO ANYONE. ALSO GET A 4-2-1 AS ITS THE BEST UPGRADE FOR GTI I WOULD SAY.