Drivers Seat

Hello,

I have recently noticed that I have worn a Homer Simpson style butt dent in the drivers seat cushion.

I have a few questions. Presumably you can simply replace the seat cushion? How easy is the job to swap the old cushion for a new one, I watched some one retrim an old MG and to be honest, as experts often do, they made it look very easy. I suspest that if the seat covers are glued to the cushion it maybe easier just to send it to be retrimed.

Finally, where can I find the part number to order the part?

Thanks

James

Hello,

I have recently noticed that I have worn a Homer Simpson style butt dent in the drivers seat cushion.

I have a few questions. Presumably you can simply replace the seat cushion? How easy is the job to swap the old cushion for a new one, I watched some one retrim an old MG and to be honest, as experts often do, they made it look very easy. I suspest that if the seat covers are glued to the cushion it maybe easier just to send it to be retrimed.

Finally, where can I find the part number to order the part?

Thanks

James

I had a similar problem. In my case it was the sports style wings on the side of the driver seat that wore through. I got quotes from two dealers, new seat cover £120 + 1 hour to fit. Asked the village garage it they knew anybody else and got the number for a freelance car upholsterer. He took the seat out, removed the cover (it's pulled tight not glued), unstitched it and removed all the plain black and replaced it, then refitted the seat for £60. Best part was he used a cloth that looks the same as the rest of the car but is considerably thicker and harder wearing. Much more suitable especially as most of my trips are commuting one-up. If you didn't know you wouldn't notice any difference.

If the foam's gone that might be a different matter all together as it may (and I don't know for sure) be integral to the seat. Modern car seats are made in a totally different way to those 20 years ago, and far better for it. I guess the message is, if it's not too late, get the cover fixed before the foam goes.

You should be able to get the part no from a dealer. Or it might be cheaper to get a replacement seat, at the prices I found. Especially if you can get one from a breakers yard, but need to be sure it hasn't been damaged in any way and lost any of the protection it provides.

Good luck!

Hello,

Thanks for the hint, the seat is not worn it just has two dents in where I take root I may ask the dealer what part is in need of replacement before I pull it to bits, I seem to recall the covers have a thin foam backing that may have dented?

James

Hello,

Thanks for the hint, the seat is not worn it just has two dents in where I take root I may ask the dealer what part is in need of replacement before I pull it to bits, I seem to recall the covers have a thin foam backing that may have dented?

James

Hi James

The foam backing on the fabric is quite thin, only 1-2 mm at most [except on mine with the replacement fabric :) ]. You wouldn't really notice a dent in that. Sounds like the foam in the cushion's knackered :(

TA

I had assumed the base was worn I have to book it in for service next week so I will ask them for a quote and decide what to do....

It seems to have been raining pretty continously this week so I have not had chance to expamint the seat too closely, how is the bas assembled and do I need to take the seat out to replace the base?