A127 from Basildon to Southend

Nicki

As a few of you head to Southend every once in a while, I thought I'd post a quick warning for you.

From the Dick Turpin Pub on the A127 right the way down to where the 40mph limit starts at Progress Road on the A127 is (as of midnight tonight) an average speed check area.

It's still national speed limit at the moment - but this will be dropping to 50mph soon (don't know the date yet).

As if the large number of gatso's isn't enough...

Watch out kids!

As a fairly regular user of the A127 for more years than I care to remember, it continues to amaze me at how busy a road it is and what a dreadful surface it has. Some parts are really getting so uneven I can see why they are lowering the speed limit. After all, its a lot cheaper than a new road and will probably raise some much needed dosh.

It was overcrowded and little rough in the 70's, now its just awful, however it is THE road to Saffend, the A13 never did it for me.

I did see a piece on the national news towards the end of last year that SPECS will be used to replace GATSO in the not too distant future. This will enable whole areas to average a cars speed out over a town, not just a stretch of road. This is a better proposition than 'spot' checks and should, in theory, free up the Police to pursue other types of vehicle related offences rather than just speeders. SPECS should also be able to alert Police via ANPR if information is relayed live to get more uninsured and untaxed vehicles off the road (but that might be a little too optimistic).