Temporary loss of power with 1.0E

Jack

Thought you were serious for a minute there wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Nah, if I put a 1.8T in the Lupo, it aint ever gonna be coming out biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(snoopstah)
Thought you were serious for a minute there wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Nah, if I put a 1.8T in the Lupo, it aint ever gonna be coming out biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

You sure about that Snoop?

Services are gonna be a little tough aint they? :wink:

"Unlikely to cause the symptoms above (although it will cause power loss) - a faulty lambda sensor wouldn't usually give an intermittent problem, and would also show the engine check light after a few miles, whereas it sounds like the OP has been putting up with this for a while without the check light showing.

Sorry - short for 'original poster', in this case, you!

Safe mode is typically when the ECU limits the power that the engine will produce in order to prevent serious damage being done to the engine. It is usually reset by restarting the car, although it depends on the severity of the fault. I've never experienced it on the Lupo, but I think a few others have.

Thanks Snoopstah

I promise to get used to the abbrevs around here ASAP

Will see let you guys know the findings when we get it hooked up somewhere (hopefully in the next week or so - fingers crossed).

In the meantime, any suggestions about probable faults still much appreciated, as will save time/ money sorting the problem out.

J

Update - took Loop into friendly VAG dealership Friday night and hooked it up to their computer (via socket under the ashtray).

Computer found that there is an intermitant fault with the engine speed sensor (G28). This is being replaced tomorrow night - takes about two hours.

In the meantime, when driving the Loop yesterday around the local lanes, within 5 minutes it decided that it didn't want to rev beyond 3000 RPM in any gear. Turned the engine off and on again - problem gone. Again, hopefully sounds like a probem with the engine speed sensor, but will have the boys at VAG run a second diagnostics check prior to fixing the new senor to see if it still reads the same fault.

Keep you posted

J

Took Loop in last night to VW and had them check the engine on the diagnostics again. Computer logged another fault since it's last visit - again with the engine speed sensor. So, looks like this is definitely the problem.

Changed the sensor - didn't take too long, just have to remove the top cover from the engine and take off the starter motor. Sensor undoes with an allen key.

Took it several miles for a test drive. No problems and no new faults when put on the diagnostics yet again (just to be sure)

Seems ok now (fingers crossed)

J