went to test drive a lupo today....

Oli

Alright guys,

i went to see/ test drive a lupo today, a nice little 16v sport that had just turned 100k.

i was happy with the drive and condition of the car, but there were two main concerns....

the driver side door clicks as it opens, i understand this can be replaced with a new hinge/ door strap, but what is the rough cost of parts to do this?

also the pedal box, ive heard that this is the main weakness of the lupo, so was quite cautious.

3 years ago there is a receipt for removal and repair of the pedal box, but there was a slight creak on the clutch pedal when depressed.

are they that weak that it could be due another replacement? or could it just need lube etc to quieten it down?

hoping to pick up the car tomorrow or tuesday, but wanted to know what to expect, worst come to worst.

any info on costs etc much apreciated.

thanks, Oli

Edited by Oli

Door check straps are £15-6 from the dealers and dead easy to fit.

thats good news then, never know what to expect with main dealer prices!

looking forward to getting the car, ive fancied a lupo for a while now :D

any ideas on the pedal box?

i made all the usual checks i make when i veiwed the car- are there any other week points on the sport?

thanks, Oli

oh, another thing, the brakes were pretty rubbish :lol:

is this normal? im used to driving a bora and the only other lupo ive driven was a 1.1 a month or two ago.

compared to the bora the braked were really bad, not a lot happend when you were on the brakes!

never driven a sport but my gti brakes were a bitt toss g60 conversion is worthwile and so easy to do on a sport and gti as for pedalbox my mate had his done on an w reg plo gti as a goodwill gesture so no matter how old the car is you will be able to blag it as goodwill gesture because it is a big job 7hours or something my door does that too been meaning to fix it for a while

never driven a sport but my gti brakes were a bitt toss g60 conversion is worthwile and so easy to do on a sport and gti as for pedalbox my mate had his done on an w reg plo gti as a goodwill gesture so no matter how old the car is you will be able to blag it as goodwill gesture because it is a big job 7hours or something my door does that too been meaning to fix it for a while

do you mean the pedal box was a recall item that the dealers will fix free of charge? its a W plate 2000 model if that makes any difference.

that would be nice :lol:

in some cases they do some they don't if u do a search there are loads of topics on the subject i think the difference between the people that get it fixed and don't is how much you argue the toss i think if your persistant you wont have to fork out for it i don't see why they went to the effort of 7 hours labour to remove it just to repair it would have thought it'd be worth replacing it

Brakes are uber crap compared to a GTI.

The creek is normal, you're feeling the pressure of the spring on the clutch cable on top the gearbox. If it squeaks then that could indicate a worn out clutch or a worn out clutch cable.

I didn't find the standard brakes to be bad on mine at all.

I thought the same but then again my previous car was a polo mk2...you know...mummy what's a brake servo? Lol.

Then I drove a GTI. If you touch the brake pedal on a GTI the brakes are quite responsive where as on my Sport I've always found that you have to press down on the pedal quite firmly to get the same amount of stopping power. Sport brakes are good when you put your foot down...there just not responsive enough. They've always been like it even with the old discs and pads.

I recall there being an issue with the brake vacuum pipe on Lupo's between 97-99 VOSA but mine was made in 2000. Whether or not my vacuum pipe is leaking ever so slightly I'm unsure.

Edited by Niche