Over Heating!!!

So the temp guage reads off the scale but the light doesnt come on? Does the temp guage change a lot? If it may need a new temp sensor

The light hasnt come on since i topped up the coolant. After i checked that the light was finally out, I took it out for 5 minutes (when I drove it home from the garage yesterday, the temp gauge was maxed out after about 3 minutes) On this quick round the block trip, the guage stayed in the middle so thought id fixed the problem.

Drove into town (about 3 miles trip) and After about 2.5 miles the guage was hitting the max again. The temp light stayed off. I left the car to stand for about 2 hours, and on the way home I put the heater on full blast. The guage stayed in the middle til i got home.

All this has come about since i had my Power steering pipe replaced yesterday, so thats why im wondering if its something serious (which I cant get my head round as it was fine before it went into the Garage) or if theyve just knocked something? As stupid as it sounds, I dont know how to check if my engine fan thing is working? The heat blowing out of my in-car radiator heats up no probs!

Ive read previous threads about overheating, when I open my bonnet after ive driven it, its not overwhelmingly hot, but dont knoe where anything is to check for connections etc :(

Im desperate to get this sorted out, help anyone?!

To check if your fan is working, just leave the car idling with the bonnet closed and no interior fans on. The Lupo temp guage is dampened - it will read 90 even if the actual temps is higher as long as it is with in normal operating range. I beleive there are two temp sensors - one sends to the dash gauge, the other to the ECU, it could be that the one sending to the gauge is broken but the other one is fine, so your gauge is off the chart but its not giving you overheat warning, which is controlled by ECU

To check if your fan is working, just leave the car idling with the bonnet closed and no interior fans on. The Lupo temp guage is dampened - it will read 90 even if the actual temps is higher as long as it is with in normal operating range. I beleive there are two temp sensors - one sends to the dash gauge, the other to the ECU, it could be that the one sending to the gauge is broken but the other one is fine, so your gauge is off the chart but its not giving you overheat warning, which is controlled by ECU

Ahh right. Ill give that a go then. If i need to take it into someone to sort it out, will it be a mechanic or an auto-electrician? The garage i had it at suggested I see the latter. Apparently they dont fix things theyve broken! :angry: