Lupo Headlight problem

Hi Everyone, I've been a regular visitor to the site for months now but couldn't be bothered to sign up (more of a reader than a poster), however I now have the following problem...

Came back to my parked car just now to find some idiot had his car rested up against the front of my car. Doesn't appear to have caused much damage to the front bumper luckily but both lights within the right headlight no longer work.

Tried replacing the main bulb before realising that both of them don't work and that didn't fix it so both haven't blown.

I did notice there's some kind of circuit box behind the hedlight but haven't tried to open it though, is there some kind of fuse in there that's likely to have blown or is it a bit more serious than that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Driving me mad already!! Good job it's not a large enough problem to get my insurance company involved, they quoted me about £2000 on a GTI and I'm hoping that'll come down a bit next year with what will be 1 year no claims.

Still can't complain £710 for first year of insurance on a Lupo Sport aint bad!

Sounds odd - the headlight shouldn't stop working. I'm assuming there's no visible damage to the headlight unit?

Can you confirm that non of the three functions in the light unit work - sidelight, dipped beam and high beam?

There are fuses for the light units, and each side is individually fused. You can find the fuses by pulling off the panel below where the light switch is - it's part of the back wall of the `cubby-hole` under the steering wheel. There's a key on the inside of the cover to show which fuse does what. However, if they have blown, I doubt replacing them will fix it - sounds like something more serious has gone wrong...

Does all the wiring to the bulbs look intact?

Just to confirm, did you actually replace one of the bulbs with a known good one, or did you stop thinking it was pointless? There's the possibility the bulb filaments broke in the impact... unlikely, though.

hi,

thanks for the really fast reply even though it's so late.

I'll try replacing the fuse (forgot to try that) and see what happens. I supose it's possible it's gone and not related to the "bump", headlights worked fine last night though.

Just to confirm - replaced bulb but no joy and yes full and side lights both do nothing.

Bet this turns out to be a real pain to fix - Just what I wantred!!!

right I've switched over the headlight fuses at the fuse box (in shelf under steering wheel area). However I think the fuses are just one for front of car + one for rear lights? either way the fuses I switched did no good - exactly the same as it was before the switch.

There seems to be some sort of circuit box behind the headlights when you remove the back cover for the headlight section, think the problem must be in there.

Anyone ever opened it up?