1.4s 75bhp won't idle

andytron

basically when i turn the car on it starts and then just turns off straight away, only when its cold. if you give it a bit of throttle for a while it'll idle but really really low and struggle to stay running. anyone have this problem or any ideas of what it can be?

Sounds like a dirty throttle housing, sounds like it needs a good clean out and possibly reset with a VW diagnostic or vag-com

also it would pay to get the fault memory checked to see if there are any temp sensor faults

yea we had an old audi cabriolet in work the other day with the same fault... as above, remove the throttle body, clean it out, plug it back in and run basic setting on it..

so hard to drive like that, i had to keep restarting the engine when i wanted to chage into reverse :)

Just out of curiousity, but what is the basic setting? How would you go about setting that?

If you don't remove the throttle body, but simply spray carb cleaner down it, is the setting still neccessary? Or is it if you only remove the throttle body (to clean it out properly)?

Also, what does everyone recommend to clean it with when removed? I bought some redex the other day, and one of the bottles says that it can be used to clean the throttle body, and can also pour it down their (similar to carb cleaner), but easier to use because it's a liquid (not spray).

im having the same problem with my sport.. we have clean throttel body and all that but still happens.... and if i dont "rev" it before i drive it when i change gear it will cut out? hmm..

im having the same problem with my sport.. we have clean throttel body and all that but still happens.... and if i dont "rev" it before i drive it when i change gear it will cut out? hmm..

You had it serviced... well renewed the air and fuel filters, plugs etc etc? Just cleaning the throttle body does'nt sort it... its need to be adapted as well.

Just a bit of advice for those of you who have tried the throttle body cleaning, and it doesn't work.

Check your fuel filter, if not that, check your pump.

My pump has recently given up on me, causing the exact same situation. The car starts for a second or two, but then dies out itself. Even after applying the accelerator, it has no affect on the car.