1.4 s

ICAP

Hi there,

Im considering purchasing a 1.4S Arosa. Having not yet driven one of these, I only have stats to go on, and i see the performance is 60bhp for this model, which to me is fairly poor for a 1.4.

I wanted to know, what are the tuning capabilities of this? I realise there will be less tuning products available than for the 1.4 16v variant, and that in most cases, an engine conversion will be more beneficial than throwing money at an 8v. However, are there any particular bottlenecks with the engine design that can release a few horses? For example, a de-cat straight through system with filter, high lift cam, remap, lightening+balancing etc? Im guessing for an 8v these products might be hard to come across, however i have no idea whether theres good resources for this stuff on the German market for example.

I could just buy a 16v, but have seen an offer for an 8v that is very good value (also would prefer the cheaper insurance!)

Thanks !

Im not really clued up on tuning, but if i remember correclty, the 1.4 8v is a very similar block to the 1.0 8v, and i know there isnt much that can be done with them.

If your planning on doing performance mods, your insurance will increase anyway.

So if i were you i would buy the 1.4 16v sport arosa, much more performance and nice spec too :)

understood, but I can get a decent 1.4 for under £1000, while 16v are £2,500+. Budget wise that suits me at the moment!

I guess there is not a great deal to do with them then. I would be surprised if you could remap the ecu on an 8v and make any serious performance gains anyway! ~

Realistically, what gains likely to see from filter and decat? 5bhp? lol

I wouldnt bother tuning it at all mate. I once had that lovely 1.4 8v in a Polo and the most your going to get is a few BHP.

If i was you just buy one, run it for a year or so standard, save your cash you would have wasted modding it and put it towards a 16v.

Also you seem to be able to get hold of a 1.4? They are very rare in manual so are you looking at Autos? Most manuals are 1.0 as the extra cash and insurance wasnt justified for 10bhp gain over the 1.0

You cant really do all that much to the 1.4 8v apart from the exhaust etc, but to do this youll need to modify the bumper and relocate around the spare wheel bay.

You might be able to put and induction kit on but its a lot of work to move or disconnect the factory one.

Your prices on 16v are accurate though you can find them a bit cheaper but your insurance will go up a tad. At 8v id strongly recommend an SE over an S as it has the same level of interior as the 16v including height adjustable seats which are quite necessary depending on how tall you are. Im 6ft 4 so theyre a must have.

Either way good luck with what ever you buy mate

Thanks for the responses, some sensible and expected comments!

Ive had several cars before, so this is not due to the fact that I cant afford to buy or insure a 16v, its just that a 1.4 8v has been offered up at a reasonable price, and Im looking at more of a runaround at the moment (especially with petrol prices where they are). I also live in London, so size wise the car suits me.

Yes, it is a 1.4 manual -so quite rare as I understand. I also agree that was the car not at the price it is, I wouldnt see the point in a 10bhp gain for the extra money. Its only 1 insurance group higher though and the difference in fuel economy is minimal. Maybe in the future i will get a 16v, or 16v engine if I want to keep my shell. In the mean time i think I will probably keep the car reasonably standard, as clearly they are not designed to be tuned. Might buy a few bits a pieces in the future though if I get bored.

On the subject of exhaust however- I understand that there are centre exit exhausts (as for the 16v) but you can buy performance exhausts I believe that are not centre exit? I saw one on ebay buy OMP that looked like a normal exit.

You can buy some performance ones but im not sure if they stay behind the bumper as on a normal 8v you cant see the exhaust as its hidden. I have seen someone put a dummy centre on anyway which looked quite cool.