lupo's suck!

celticrsmith

maybe not the greatest intros ive been brave enough to say, but just thought id get you attention.

ive just dropped a thread in the 'wanted' section as im after a lupo!

is there some sort of common fault with the gearboxes/clutches as a few on piston heads have this.

and what sort of price would i be looking at for a 'euro' lupo, tastefully modded, with either the 1 or 1.4 engines?

thanks in advance dudes n dudettes

rikky

maybe not the greatest intros ive been brave enough to say, but just thought id get you attention.

ive just dropped a thread in the 'wanted' section as im after a lupo!

is there some sort of common fault with the gearboxes/clutches as a few on piston heads have this.

and what sort of price would i be looking at for a 'euro' lupo, tastefully modded, with either the 1 or 1.4 engines?

thanks in advance dudes n dudettes

rikky

Mines for sale for £2.600 In the for sale section

Look...avoid all 1.4 16v S & Sports. Get a TDI or a GTI as they have hydraulic clutches and don't destroy the pedal box causing failures all around. OR buy one that has had the work done.

thanks for that advice. i did wonder why there were so many of the ones for sale with knackered boxes.

is it a common fault or just a wear and tear thing?

also, what about the 1ltrs? are they the same?

and finally, arent the gti's in the £205 tax p/y bracket? i just detest that!! ggrr

GTI's must be in that tax bracket being a 1.6 as it applies to 1.6L +

1l, 1.2l, 1.4tdi, 1.7sdi or the 1.6gti have no such issues with them.

Its a manufacturers fault, they recalled all the Polo's for the work but couldn't be bothered to recall the lupo's (money, oh but erm...money).

Basically the pedal boxes use spot welds which are crap and collapse over time, so the spot welds move, you think your fully depressing the clutch when you aren't thus knackering your gearbox and clutch. VW will do the pedal box for free but not the clutch as its purely a wear & tear part. Gearbox VW don't care about. And obviously the pedal box collapses which isn't a pretty thing to loose.

hope this helps. nick.

Edited by Niche

GTI's must be in that tax bracket being a 1.6 as it applies to 1.6L +

1l, 1.2l, 1.4tdi, 1.7sdi or the 1.6gti have no such issues with them.

Its a manufacturers fault, they recalled all the Polo's for the work but couldn't be bothered to recall the lupo's (money, oh but erm...money).

Basically the pedal boxes use spot welds which are crap and collapse over time, so the spot welds move, you think your fully depressing the clutch when you aren't thus knackering your gearbox and clutch. VW will do the pedal box for free but not the clutch as its purely a wear & tear part. Gearbox VW don't care about. And obviously the pedal box collapses which isn't a pretty thing to loose.

hope this helps. nick.

Very early GTI's would be in the +1.6 category, but for cars registered after 1st March 2001 car tax is emissions based.

Also sorry to burst your bubble but the 1.0 and 1.7SDi also have the pedal box problem! It's not just the sport owners that got lucky :rolleyes:

Don't let it put you off though - there are some tell-tale signs when the pedal box is on the way out. Steer clear of these examples and you'll find a good one :)

P.S.

Thats a question thats not going to get answered, so why not have a look for yourself. Modified cars are worth what someone is prepared to pay for them ;)

Edited by jon_273

Id have a look on the search bar on here for pedal box. As this is the main thing you need to read up on. It is a common fault and the main problem with it is that VW and Seat couldnt give a flying fooook about helping you. As a lad said above TDIs and GTIs do have hydraulic clutches but i wouldnt let it stop you buying a 1.4. If your after fun go for a 1.4 16v arosa as more fun and cheaper!

Also sorry to burst your bubble but the 1.0 and 1.7SDi also have the pedal box problem! It's not just the sport owners that got lucky :rolleyes:

Burst my bubble? You were just merely correcting me and making the bubble bigger, no need to get funny about it. <_<

I take it that's a touchy subject :blink:. But seriously, I wouldn't let it put me off buying one, what I would do first though is phone my local VW with the registration of the car, and check that's it's covered under the goodwill gesture :)

All lupos/arosas, other than the TDI and GTI, have pedal box issues. Reason why those two dont is they have a hydraulic clutch.

Its most common on both 1.4 petrols though, the 75 and the 100, so i gather.

Havent heard of many 1.0s having problems.

yeah, that tidies things up alot, muchly appreciated!

i may just look for the 1ltr

ive never considered the arosa but i might as its fairly similiar!!

and didnt realise the tdi's were as low as 1.4! thats ace!

let the hunt continue!!

Defo take a look at an arosa, dont discount it because its not a VW!

If your wanting a 1.0, id very strongly recommend you buy an arosa instead. You dont get 1.0 lupos with any spec, unless its optional but ive not seen one. Although 1.0S arosas have 14" alloys, remote central locking and electric windows. Plus a few other nice things, like a pollen filter and on later models CD player standard.

I realise you will probably change the wheels etc anyway, but its nice to have the bit extra spec.

But please, no one start a lupo vs arosa thing again, if you want to know, then do a search ;)

Id also recommend the TDi, its great :D