Car cutting out and bad performance

Hi there,

Recently my car has been cutting out whenever i slow down at junction ect... It seems to be idling at around 500rpm. It has also cut out while im moving along when i was changing gear so its onyl really when i let the revs drop.

Also it is not performing well at all as it is reving high but there is no power behind it compared to before.

Does anybody else have the same problem or does anybody know how i can solve it?

Obviously the cutting out thing is the prioty as the power steering and power assisted brakes go a little crazy...

Regards

Tom

Try changing your air filter insert and giving your throttle body a blast of carb cleaner to clear out any gunk or oily residue.

Fuel filter could be a bit blocked.

Otherwise it could be ignition related i.e. coil pack, ignition leads and spark plugs.

I've had this problem very rarely - but I share your pain - I think loss of power steering is the most terrifying...

It could be a number of things worth checking - as Niche says:

- air filter/box n throttle body gunked up / fuel filter might need replacing as it might be clogged n at 'low pump' it might be getting blocked (£10 or so for part) / ignition issues - check n clean all plugs/leads/coil thingy

When warm, my 1.4E idles at about 600, so yours sounds a tiny bit low, so it could be that the idling speed may need adjustment, which (I think) means adjusting the throttle cable (where it meets the throttle body) a little. I don't know how to do this, but I think you get a friend to put the pedal down full throttle and then you adjust the clip thingy where it meets the throttle body. (Can others please help on this!??)

It hasn't happened to mine since I've cleaned things up a bit. However, it only ever happened to mine when I was very low on petrol - if that's the case with yours, it might be the fuel filter being clogged up with gunk from the bottom of the tank.

Hope this helps

Edited by LupoEnvy

I don't know how to do this, but I think you get a friend to put the pedal down full throttle and then you adjust the clip thingy where it meets the throttle body. (Can others please help on this!??)

Wont that have to be done by VAG-COM, given the electronic pedal control?

Yes if he has fly by wire throttle. Manual adjust if he has cable throttle

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...