problems with my lupo gti

forsh21

When my lupo is at 2000 rpm's in any gear the car start's to jurk about like its missing or the timing is out, iv checked the timing and it's ok, just wondering if anyone as heard of this problem please help starting to piss me off lol

yes i have it too, its weird as any rpm above 2k all the way to limiter is smooth as you like. i finally think i have found the problem, which could potentially turn out to be a very common fault. unlpug your HT leads where they connect to the coil pack, check each connector for corrosion, they should all be shiny metal not dusty or dull. also unbolt the coil pack and check the metal connections there. one of my leads and coils is corroded. i have new leads and coil pack on order, hope this solves it. if you have a similar corrosion then it will be confirmed. either way we both have the same problem with our gti.

Its normal when cold, usually disappears once they warm up.

i'm not sure if he means this issue?

yeah almost all gti have that jerkyness for about 1 minute from cold start. the problem i have is constant.

i'm not sure if he means this issue?

yeah almost all gti have that jerkyness for about 1 minute from cold start. the problem i have is constant.

il check the ht leads and the coil pack thank you, when yours starts to jurk is it around 2000 rpm's ?

yes always from about 1700rpm to 2000rpm, never above. the idle rpm is perfect aswell.

i have done so much different driving styles to see how it kicks in, but it can come in under gentle throttle or foot full down. i sometimes thought that there is a difference when using 95 octane fuel and 99 vpower. give that a try aswell and see if you notice. but now i think its the coil pack now i have seen the corrosion.

Edited by Dark

yes always from about 1700rpm to 2000rpm, never above. the idle rpm is perfect aswell.

i have done so much different driving styles to see how it kicks in, but it can come in under gentle throttle or foot full down. i sometimes thought that there is a difference when using 95 octane fuel and 99 vpower. give that a try aswell and see if you notice. but now i think its the coil pack now i have seen the corrosion.

iv tried v-power still the same, gunna check the coil pack 2moz nite see if there is any corrosion there. thank you very much for your time.

report back on what you find. i took a series of photos of mine today that i was going to make a guide/post on but they turned out crap on my mobile phone cam.

i will do, have you got a photo of yours ?

Edited by forsh21

i'm not sure. the access itsnt very easy to get a good clean to good metal. and then some material would be lost.

you can buy leads singularly from vw. but i have got a high performance splitifre set to go on.

Edited by Dark

from ebay. about £60 inc postage.

try a search for VW splitfire leads.

the bumf:

Patented Dual-Mag design incorporates two premium magnetic suppression core conductors which are protected by a layer of braided fiberglass to resist the harshest of underhood conditions. Precision engineered original equipment boots and terminals assure an exact fit and easy installation. Install the wire set that delivers voltage with only 250 ohms of resistance per foot.

Features

Fibreglass braided inner jacket

100% Silicon outer jacket

Kevlar reinforced spiral core

Stainless steel all weather springs & clips

Improves performance at any RPM

Less fuel consumption

Up to 15 times the ignition power of OE wires

Twice the ignition power of most other performance leads

Limited lifetime warranty

cheers just had i look the iridium work out at £52 so am gunna order them ta.

I had that problem with my gti and a few other VWs that ive worked on. I wouldnt suggest putting denso plugs in as ive always had problems with them, id go for an alternative platinum plug. Also with my gti i replaced the coil pack for a genuine VW one and then had to change the leads, and only genuine VW leads seemed to work.

i cant see any reason why non genuine leads or denso plugs would cause any problems? what kind of issues did you discover?

forsh21 what make of plugs do you already have fitted?

Non genuine leads were breaking down under load and i have always found problems with denso plugs in any VAG car.

i guess you can get cheap aftermarket leads and high performance ones. i think the splitfires one would be leagues ahaead of the vw ones. they arrived today and look quality. very good materials, twin core inside, and stainless steel connectors, no corrosion there then.

tried ma car again this morning and it seems fine hopefully the problem as gone, still gunna change the ht leads tho, i dont know what plugs it as in never had them out. how much are coil packs?

And how many miles does your lupo do on a full tank of fuel ? (driving normal) mine is doing about 190 miles to a tank £30.