Anybody like numbers?

dougless

I always thought that Audi A2 was an interesting vehicle that sold in small numbers. They were so expensive new that Audi never sold enough to make them cost effective. The result was that Audi dropped the A2 which is a shame. I only drove one once and it was a most impressive vehicle considering its size and weight. At the time I had no idea that it was closely related to the Lupo, in that it shares some of its engine/transmission components and even has an 3L variant.

The VW Lupo is I suppose an even more unusual vehicle, you tend to see more A2’s on UK roads than Lupo’s. The Lupo must have been expensive to make as well, just like the A2. So expensive, that its replacement, the Fox, is made in Brazil, not Europe.

Having a mooch round Auto trader threw up the following figures.

• Total number of Audi’s offered on Auto trader is 16,531

• Of these, 221 were A2 petrol models, 107 A2 Diesel models and 7 were unspecified.

• Total number of VW’s offered on Auto trader is 28,217

• Of these, 214 were Lupo petrol models, 22 Lupo Diesel models and 6 were unspecified.

This means that of all the Audi’s on sale, 2% were A2’s and of those 32% were Diesels. For VW’s, less than 1% were Lupo’s and of those only 9% were Diesels.

So what does this all mean? Well probably that the Lupo is a much rarer car than the A2 although it could be that people are just getting rid of their A2’s and hanging on to their Lupo’s. Also, the Lupo Diesel is a much rarer beast than the A2 Diesel; that did surprise me. Are Lupo Diesels that rare or were they so much more expensive that most people went for the petrol option?

Any thoughts on the above?

Good post :)

I think the problem with the Lupo is the massively varying price they go for..... one minute there a certain price... next minute they are going up again. Is it the cheap tax for the Tdis? Who knows.

The people who have got in mine in the last week or so have been pretty impressed with the (adequate) power and space in there for 4 people ..... `Tardis` like..... but hey boots are for a Sub only arent they ;)

Sorry to miss the Seat Arosa out.

• Total number of Seat’s offered on Auto trader is 5124

• Of these, 167 were AROSA petrol models, 9 were Diesel models and 8 were unspecified.

So of all the Seat’s on sale, under 4% were Arosa’s and less than 5% of those were Diesels.

It would appear that the Lupo/Arosa Diesel is either highly prized and hung on to or fairly rare.

Sorry to miss the Seat Arosa out.

• Total number of Seat’s offered on Auto trader is 5124

• Of these, 167 were AROSA petrol models, 9 were Diesel models and 8 were unspecified.

So of all the Seat’s on sale, under 4% were Arosa’s and less than 5% of those were Diesels.

It would appear that the Lupo/Arosa Diesel is either highly prized and hung on to or fairly rare.

cheers :) only thing is its only us geeks who realise how rare they are! i keep thinking about stciking a tdi badge back on the back dammit, nobody realises!