Just driven new golf 1.4 170bhp

Jonny

Mother in law's car, GT sport, ex demo with 5k. I'm a bit surprised at how dull it felt. It's quite quick and the supercharger/ turbo work well but you feel numb; theres just no feel to the thing. It rides well and does everything perfectly but not a patch on the Lupo or even the Polo Gti I drove. I was considering a new Golf Gti but if that's similar I would be disappointed. Is the Gti more 'raw' than the GT?

I've just qualified as a tech at Crewe VW so i drive alot ov models. The 1.4 TSI is'nt really anything special IMO. Supercharger aint superb anyway, an u dont really get tht ooomf feeling!! As for the Mk5 GTI, it is an animal i love the thing. Out of all the models and cars VW have this stands above them all performance wise!!! It is RAW..

The TSI's may get intresting as well, the reason for this, is becuase.... They have released a 2L version and in the summer we'll see a 1.8 TSI with a 7 speed DSG. But tht is startin off in the Passat CC. :lol:

i found the 1400 golf a nice drive esp for a 1400 engine, sure it does not push you in your seat i found the delivery very smooth.

You defo should mate... u'll be well chuffed with it!!

Let me no wt u think wen u take the plunge an test drive it :shades:

i found the 1400 golf a nice drive esp for a 1400 engine, sure it does not push you in your seat i found the delivery very smooth.

You're right, it is smooth engine and coupled with the ride, it does all the right things. Just expected it to be more edgy, doesn't feel like it has 170bhp.

Yeah dont get me wrong, it is really, really good for a 1.4 and the delivery is spot on. BUT for the price... yoo might as well fork out tht little bit extra and get the GTI tht has incredible delivery and soooo god damn smooth ;)

Yeah dont get me wrong, it is really, really good for a 1.4 and the delivery is spot on. BUT for the price... yoo might as well fork out tht little bit extra and get the GTI tht has incredible delivery and soooo god damn smooth ;)

you've got it..I'd definitely think 2k extra would be worth it. Will let you know about test drive, quite looking forward to it now :rolleyes:

Smooth but no Go-Kart like the Lupo GTi

I'd love a 1.4 GT now that 230 bhp is achievable, although I am not prepared to spend £000's more changing the dull inside/outside looks