Door speakers....not so hard

musto

well after both myn blew up i had no choice to change them, so i thought ill upgrade them while im at it. got sum 6" ish FLI's. To solve the whole problem about hitting the window when its down, i used two 13mm bolts as a spacer. there solid as a rock and sound great, so its not as hard as it first loooks! :coffee:

When you say you used bolts as a spacer, do you mean you used these to push the speakers away from the door? If so, has that now left a gap between the speaker and the door so it's not sitting flush?

If so, I would highly recommend making a simple MDF baffle so everything is flush. This will make them sound even better! When speakers are mounted onto a solid, flush surface you have a better air enclosure around them. This improves bass and mid-bass response greatly and really helps bring the speaker to life!

If you can't be bothered with making the baffles, check out AutoAcoustics website as, in the past at least, they sold pre-made baffles in a range of sizes.

Cheap, simple and really helps make the system sound better :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yep on the MDF front. The plastic things you can buy are too flimsy (not to mention expensive) to get a proper contact with the door and don't create a good sound. The standard speakers are better than even good aftermarket speakers without a decent baffle setup.

When you say you used bolts as a spacer, do you mean you used these to push the speakers away from the door? If so, has that now left a gap between the speaker and the door so it's not sitting flush?

If so, I would highly recommend making a simple MDF baffle so everything is flush. This will make them sound even better! When speakers are mounted onto a solid, flush surface you have a better air enclosure around them. This improves bass and mid-bass response greatly and really helps bring the speaker to life!

If you can't be bothered with making the baffles, check out AutoAcoustics website as, in the past at least, they sold pre-made baffles in a range of sizes.

Cheap, simple and really helps make the system sound better :)

100% correct - the use of bolts as spacers will work but the improvment of using a correct spacer and a enclosure around the basket of the speaker makes no end of diff....