White smoke

just recently noticed white smoke coming out the exhaust and the oil has gone down a touch on the car, any ideas what it could be - its worse when it has been reved hard normal driving you hardly notice i dont have a sooty exhaust though

car is a 16v 100hp lupo full vw service history 110k

thanks

nathan

Blue smoke is when its buring oil, which smoke will probably be steam and thats from the coolent.

Has it used any water?

Sounds like a posible heasgasket really, although they are rare to go on VWs.

Look for white gunge under the oil filler cap.

Does the white smoke stop after you have been driving for a little while?

As a bit of steam on cold days is normal before it heats up.

Other than that im not sure, keep an eye on the coolent level :)

White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).

Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. Blue smoke is more likely in older or higher mileage vehicles than newer cars with fewer miles.How did the engine oil get inside the cylinder in the first place? The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil. Using thicker weight engine oil or an oil additive designed to reduce oil leaks might help reduce the amount of oil leaking into the cylinder.

Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. Another term for excess fuel is "running rich." Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor.How did the fuel get into the cylinder in the first place? Some of the causes of excess fuel are a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. If black smoke is present, check the engine oil as in the white smoke example to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do not start the engine if a heavy, raw fuel smell can be detected in the engine oil. Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found.

White smoke is caused by coolant or water coming out the tail pipe. There is a chance that the white smoke was caused by water splashing up from a puddle onto the exhaust pipe. Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator in any event.

:D

or its condensation building up in your centre exit zaust

Yeo could be, if it is the smoke will dissapear when the car has warmed through, it can take a while for the steam in the exhaust to clear if its been doing a lot of short runs lately.

If it doesnt clear then i would day probably a gasket!

Yeo could be, if it is the smoke will dissapear when the car has warmed through, it can take a while for the steam in the exhaust to clear if its been doing a lot of short runs lately.

If it doesnt clear then i would day probably a gasket!

Totally agree

thanks guys panicked a bit , checked the oil id fine no gunk at top or dipstick level and the coolent is at the correct level with no oil in it phew. guess it must be water in the exhaust been raining quite a lot on not using the car very often and when i have for short journeys so i got all my fingers crossed its just condensation.

fanks for the superfast replies !!

thanks guys panicked a bit , checked the oil id fine no gunk at top or dipstick level and the coolent is at the correct level with no oil in it phew. guess it must be water in the exhaust been raining quite a lot on not using the car very often and when i have for short journeys so i got all my fingers crossed its just condensation.

fanks for the superfast replies !!

Don't worry from what you've just said says to me its a bit of rain water in your exhaust or just condensation :D