TDi vs GTi????

Ashley

I was determined that the next car i was going to get would be a GTi. but now i'm not so sure.

I've read in a thread that u can re-map the TDi up to 117BHP?? If I did this would the insurance still be in group three or would it turn out to be near the insurance for a GTi?

Also, what would be the difference in performance.

Any ideas, suggestions etc would be great

another 306 DTurbo owner!

(i used to have one)

insurance will still be the same unless you intend on telling them that its 117bhp, sont know how much it would go up but doubt it would be as high as the GTi and as for performance, i dont have a clue what the differance would be, i cant imagine it being anywhere near as quick as a gti though.

haha yeah us DTurbo owners are everywhere!!!

Cheers for that.Does anyone have a remapped TDi and if so do they know the 0-60 figures etc...

I'm an honest kinda guy, I must admit I would probably tell them it was rempped, damn my honesty!!!!

haha, well it would depend on your age and no claims aswell as if i got one and remapped it and told the insurance they would just laught at me as im only 18 and have yet to get my years no claims.

I had the same dilema, I chose a gti instead of a remap.

It's a completely different car, whenever I see a non-gti it seems very boring looking in comparison.

With it being petrol you get all the benefits of a tasty throttle response etc.

The Xenons are sexy as hell, I'm never having another car with standard lights (thats how much I like them!)

etc, etc , etc

Not that the tdi is a bad car or anything! I loved that little thing! :)

Point taken willcrook but im guesin u cud put xenons in and make the TDi look more exciting. Plus, the TDi has loads more torque.

I would rather have a GTi but i'm just thinkin from an expense point of view.

Oh btw Daz does ur insurace company know about all the mods on ur Arosa lol??

hehe fair play, u wud b screwed if u had an accident and they sent an assessor out tho.

Cheap Skates ;):P Only kidding.

Interesting thread considering its everything I need to know rolled in one :)

yea but mine was the best :P

mine was the DTurbo S with the leather interior, air con, abs and fully colour coded so ner :P

sill i loved the HDi's so much more :wub:

but yea mine was a shed and fell appart, VAG cars all the way for me now :blush:

Just for an insurance point of view, my car is re-map'd and has a power cap of 120hp with unlimited mods.

Basically i told them my car might be producing around 110hp, so they cap'd it at 120hp. I also have an unlimited mods policy so any mod for no extra cost.

I'm currently paying just under ÂŁ600 for all mods declared TPFT but that is for business use too and 3 points on license.

Looking back, if you want a balance between cost and performance, get the TDI. You won't find a cheaper car to run for the performance once re-map'd.

However if i tried to get a standard GTI insured for business use, i doubt i'd get anywhere near ÂŁ600. I was 21 when i took that policy too. But i'd love to have GTI now for its Xenons and that the petrol engine is more fun than a TDI. Yes the TDI pulls well etc...but gets a bit boring running out of revs at 4k!

Check insurance, as TDI i'd only get if you're going to remap it. So get quotes for it with a remap as it might turn out more than a GTI because its a modifcation, but more the fact its the percentage increase which for the little TDI's turns out to be a significant percentage!

Well funds are tight for me atm. I really wanted a 306 but had to settle for a less than perfct example!!! Mechanically it is awesome, but the bodywork leaves a lot to be desired.How old are you VAGGIRL? are you also debating whether toget a GTi or a remapped TDi? If you're a similar age to me (18 im only a baby hehe) then the TDi might make more sense.I'm just gonna wait and see. I'm not gonna be able to afford either until im 19 (next may) anyway, hopefully i'll have a years no claims by then.cheers g-man

I got quoted ÂŁ800 TPFT for a TDi @ 19 - With a crash and 3 points I think thats pretty damn good :)

Ashley - Ive had a 2.0l 306 HDi for 9 months now - I NEED to get another diesel otherwise ill be pulling my arms off haha.

I got quoted ÂŁ2200 TFPF for a GTi :( Ill hae to wait for that one

Edited by VAGGirl

hmm i wonder what the quote would be for me on a GTi hypothetically if I turn 19 with a years no claims and no points on my licence?

I might check it out (TPFT obviously, i'm not a wealthy oil baron)!!!

But yeah that quote for the TDi isn't bad at all.

I've had 3 crashes and been caught speeding excessively. Fortunately I havnt claimd n the copper let me off. Lets hope my luck contnues :P

Edited by Ashley

well i had a clio tdi that was 92bhp standard and remapped it to 123bhp and il warn you now it will be no were as quick as a GTi but will get better fuel cheaper tax and cheaper insurance but if your considerring a GTi then you obvious know the benefits of it like owning a very very rare and exclusive car, the sheer looks of people you drive past and the sheer thrill of the GTi as a whole but then im biased as i love my GTi to pieces and drive both diesels and petrols daily but still think my wee loop is the dogs well you know all im saying is theres a lot more thrill factor in the GTi but i think the tdi is still a nice car but its all down to personal preference why not just test drive the two of them n make a very very thought out decision oh and insurance wise well im only 19 with 2 years no claim and drive the GTi and im ÂŁ1080 fully comp for the year :shades:

Lets not forget the GTI can also be remaped. Kierons car made an extra 8.5bhp and 11nm, and drives better. Is now 135 bhp and 163 nm.

Have you tried Tesco, Churchill, Directline for insureance quotes ? I personally cant get a reasonable quote from any other company. Definately worth a try.

How the hell did u get 2 years no claims by the time u were 19? either u passed really early or got one of those bonus accelerator thingies???

Cheers for the help mate, much appreciated.

Also, while im typin. the person i bought my DTurbo off said that it had got new turbo. How do I find out if this gives the same performance as the manufacturer fitted turbo, any ideas?

The only thing with Direct Line is they have some stupid rule that they just refuse to insure anyone under the age of 25 on a car with ANY modifications, no matter how minor.

But yeah im with them at the moment and they were much cheaper than anyone else

Edited by Ashley

yeah passed after 8 lessons (my lucky number) well hope you take great thought into it coz the GTi and TDi look a bit different and sound different i dont think i could really be any more help except this keep in mind the lupo GTi will one day be a future classic and very very very rare even tho it is quite rare just now well good luck oh and bout the lack of money theres always finance available and you can pay the insurance monthly as well just work out a budget if your goin for a GTi ;) but if your anything like me ul :wub: luv it

The only thing with Direct Line is they have some stupid rule that they just refuse to insure anyone under the age of 25 on a car with ANY modifications, no matter how minor.

But yeah im with them at the moment and they were much cheaper than anyone else

What about Tesco or Churchill then ? All three are pretty much the same, give very close quotes. The only real difference between them is the T&C's, excesses etc.

Ive been pretty lucky, started driving when i was 18 with a 6 month bonus accelerator. When i switched to Tesco's at 19 luckily they honoured it. Now im 22 with 5 NCB's and pay ÂŁ400 a year on the GTI.

Bonus accellerators arn't really a cheap way to insure, and many companies wont honour them so be careful how you use them.

Well i dont really call it modding lol, its only a back box and pipercross that make any difference but thats just sound, doesnt improve accelleration or top speed so being with quinn they dont care lol.

the only other mods is a cobra alarm with smart windows, coilovers and new brakes. oh and some side skirts and tints, but basically no my insurance doesnt know :whistle:

So you are quite happy to admit, on a public forum, that you are driving round with no insurance?

Because "you don't really call it modding"

Get a f**king grip

You'd better not crash into me

Edited by twisty b-road

So you are quite happy to admit, on a public forum, that you are driving round with no insurance?

Because "you don't really call it modding"

Get a f**king grip

You'd better not crash into me

Oh he does have insurance. By law it is 3rd party, the insurance company cannot void this part of the cover.

Although if they read this thread, they could well scrap his policy before he has an accident.