G-Force Record/Airbag

ArosaMike

A month ago or so I managed to rear end someone at 3mph. Scuffed the bumpers slightly but nothing to worry about. Now the idiot is claiming he suffered whiplash at 5mph so I was wondering if anyone knows if VAGCom records the G of any impacts since it has to work out whether to deploy the airbags or not. If it does, I'll go and get the dealer to pull of the data for me to see if Whiplash was possible. If not, then he won't have a leg to stand on :P

Have a look on this site, seems to have been studies on it in the past http://www.greatrix.co.uk/Pub3.htm just after section 13 there's info suggesting that injuries occur above 6mph. The person you rear ended may have done some research themselves as other sites say 5mph and above

So if you can find out from VAGCom at what speed the impact was and it is below 5mph then you may very well be right there. On the other hand if you were busy rear ending somebodys car I'm not sure whether you would have had time to look at your speedo to see how fast you were going at time of impact to say it was only 3mph (or maybe thats why you crashed coz you were looking at your speedo :P )

Edited by dazraz_uk

Does it record any telemetry then? The ******* is trying to take advantage of the system and I'd be nice to proove him wrong. One of my lecturers is the UK leader in car collision injuries research, so if I can get some kind of speed/g loading out of it then I can get access to a lot of data to prove that he can't have whiplash. He's a doctor though, so without this, he's going to take advantage of the system by getting all his doctor buddies in on it! He's turning what was two minor paint scuffs into £400 of claims of car repair and potentially £6000 of personal injury claims. I bet the fool already earns 100s of k a year and I don't want my insurance company to pay for some nice jolly to france!

Edited by ArosaMike