Spluttering when cold

Stephen

Recently my Gti has started chugging when cold, it doesn`t do it all the time and it has n`t put up any warning lights, when i start it up and move out my drive i turn on to the road its a short journey to the end and i only get up to about 20mph if I`m lucky but in 1st and 2nd gear the car will hiccup/ chugg like its got kangaroo petrol and the garage said that thet can`t fault it . Has any one had a similar fault and if so how was it sorted??

On another note it was making a whine/ chirpy noise and they changed the waterpump shpuld they change the timing belt ? it`s only got 22k on the clock and it`ll be 3 years old on the 1st of sept. It`s nearly out its warranty and don`t want any big bills soon!!

Cheers for any help or advice.

I used to have a very jumpy start when my GTI was cold.

I spent an hour or so cleaning my throttle body (TB) with carb cleaner in a pot and some buds on sticks and she runs a lot better now (ignition on without the engine running and wedged the accel pedal down to open the TB without touching it myself)......the amount of dirt/oil etc that was clogging it up was impressive as there is supposed to be a small gap round the butterfly for the engine to breath as it only opens at certain speed and this was the problem.

Now its nice and clean I hardly have any issues smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I also installed a oil catch tank for extra measure.