lupo overheating

1%er

Hi,the wifes lupo 1.0 litre petrol has developed an overheating problem,started boiling over last week,found a 20 amp fuse blown on the top of the battery,replaced that fuse, not blown again but still overheating,heaters working ok in the car,if i take the small bore pipe off whilst the engine is running there is a flow of water so the pump is still working,the top hose on the rad is red hot and the bottom is stone cold (is this normal? this is our first watercooled vw ,I'm used to beetle engines)

Cant find the thermostat,could that be the problem??

Any ideas guys confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

THanks for the replies guys,if the rads blocked could i remove both hoses and flush through with a hosepipe?.The coolant boils after about 40 mins driving and steam starts coming out of the header tank,so unlikely to be an airlock,where is the thermostat located??? Also according to the manual why is the coolant fuse a 20amp, would'nt have thought it would draw that much current?

Lupos are very good at keeping cool. I have my number plate mounted infront of mine and shes never batters an eye lid. So probaly thermostat im guessing

same thing happened to mine take the thermostat out fill it up again make sure theres no air lock and check if its overheating its located where the top hose meets the engine take the casing off cant remember if they have bolts or torx screws on them its very simple to do

If you found a blown fuse is the radiator fan woking. If the fan is working then the bottom hose being cold is good.

You can test the thermostat by removing it and put it in boiling hot water and see if it moves.

It's got a good chance of being the water pump.

Good luck hope this helps rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

My Gti is the best car I have ever used in terms of modulating its engine temperature. In 77,000 miles it has never given me cause for concern regarding engine temperature. Gets up to temperature quick from a cold start, always runs bang on halfway whether it is a hot or cold day and even after long periods of high speed followed by traffic jams it never overheats.

I remember Tigz 1.0 overheating on the way to Trax 3 years ago (when his car was actually on the road). His fan wiring loom connector had become disconnected and the fan was not cutting in. I plugged it back in for him but the connector was not too good and didnt seem to positive in latching. Maybe the connetor is poor and can become unclipped easily???

Could the blown fuse have been for the cooling fan??? Is the fan seized and so blew the fuse due to electrical overloading of the fan circuit???