Oil Breather Mod for BMC and Poss Viper

Marqs_Loopy

Good idea to video it lke that  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watch the Video Download link Below of the Last Dartford UK Polo's . net With special guest stars us!!

http://www.btinternet.com/~marquee/Clubloopy.zip

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Yep think it does because it takes the Hydrocarbons and stuff like that back in to the Loop if you pardon the pun . Some of the guys from UKPolos.net said that it makes it legal and i think a few of the guys on here did too. I makes sence thouh if you think about it all the hydro carbons and stuff being reburnt off again. Also I imagine not so stinky either.. :roll:

Thats the only thing that gets on my nerves, the occasional smell of hot oil / petrol coming into the car. I just started opening the windows and switching the blower off. I think a catch tank and a connection to the air intake would be a good solution, so the engine only inhales the gasses and as little as possible droplets of oil and stuff.

Yep could be a good fix and you would'nt need to clean out the inlet pilenium as much.. Post the pick when ya do it Matey laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Yep fair play thats a great idea, its all very well seeing everyones Lupo's in pictures but the vid is sweet! Gives the Forum an extra dimension! Just a question regarding the crankcase breather mod......I've got a Viper on mine at the minute, who's is the car that the BMC filter is on and also where did they get the small length of hose with the adapter pipe from? I'm currently using a pipercross crankcase breather filter on mine.Is this correct?

Dont worry, I will post pictures when its done. 8)

I have a BMC filter, all fittings came supplied with the kit. The crankcase filter your using is correct, but not road legal. Which is why there is a mod in development to join the crank case vent to the air intake.

excuse my ignorance but whats makes it illegal for the road?

Cheers

The Crank case oil breather spewing out hydrocarbons to the atmosphere matey .

Dan is that an official mod they are doing or this one you see in my vid.

I have got a few ideas and have draw a couple up which include modifying the inlet elbow on the BMC.

Poobah as an idea you could extend the link pipe between the inlet pilennium and your filter and connect the breather pipe there, You would ofcourse have to fit a connector of sorts

Christ!! I didn't realise l was polluting the atmosphere........feel kinda guilty now, well actually maybe not. Basically l need a `60-65mm` diameter piece of tubing like a `T-piece`. I think if l'm not much mistaken that Samco do such an item in the demon tweeks motorsport catalogue.More money! Look at me trying to save the planet from my hydro carbon spewing car! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Its a the mod ive been planning with the catch tank and modifying the inlet elbow of the BMC, not an official one. But it will be creative and look good biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edit: I wouldn't worry too much mate. You should see the smoke and crap that comes out of my friends tuned TDI PD Ibiza. The exhaust gas is very sooty, and can fill two lanes of a dual carriage way with a wall of smog with ease. It makes a petrol engines emissions look quite tame!

Ok so hows that gonna work with a catch tank etc? Having trouble visualising the process. :cry:

Yep bt you've got the right idea and if you think about it the air filter mod is to improve airflow into the engine including the `re-burning` of the hydrocarbons(or should do anyway.

Dan MI Lupo is gonna use an oil catcher tank in between the breather and inlet connection (If that makes any sence ) as another idea it could also mean that you will not have to clean out you inlet pillenium as much . cos most of the crap would be caught in the catcher tank. Does that make sence? :roll:

Yep gotcha, was being blonde the day! is there any performance gains to be had from doing this or am l better off polluting the atmosphere and killing off baby rabbits instead? twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

Crank case vent pipe comes off the engine block, it will connect onto an oil catch tank, to catch liquid oil droplets. Then the 90 degree elbow that connects the air filter onto the throttle body will be modified to take a pipe which will come from the oil catch tank. So the engine will inhale less oil vapour and it will be legal.

Edit. Posted very shortly after the man with the spinning head biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Just need to work out where I could fit the tank as its a bit cramped under the bonnet. No performance gains to be had, just happier knowing its road legal and my insurance cant tell me to go **** if I claim.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Damn fine explination sir.

K this is gonna sound like a real dum question but where's the oil droplets going with my Breather Filter? Should l take it off periodically and clean the inside? doesn't look like it comes apart. Well it looks like it isnt meant to come apart.

Actually now you come to mention it l had a remote oil brahter filter and catch tank on my Westfield. Totally remember now. Although that one didnt return to the engine as the carbs had return port on them.

What originally got me thinking was when I saw a MK2 Golf GTi, at a show a few weekends back held at the 3 counties show ground in Malvern.

It had this:

Tank.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

My thoughts were, when can I afford one? where can I fit one? and what tubing would I need to connect it to the air intake.

Very similar to the westy one. although it was black. Damn nice that isnt it! Might have to be a case of looking through demon tweeks motorsport catalogue and compiling all the individual parts/connectors and hoses. I'm sure they have universal alloy catch tanks in there.

8) Cool you had a westerfield wicked..The catcher tank mod has been around for some time and i have seen a couple with coke or steller cans even Redbull. which was nice. Just a cover mind you. I will be going down the route of BMC,Catcher Tank and airtight connection into the Elbow with my patented design Brrrd dooopb brrrring BMC Basher Boss. Sorry just doing my clunk impression from Catch the pigeon. A Connector of sorts.