16" alloys with 38mm offset - OZ Super'ts

gargoil

Right there's currently alloys on ebay I'm thinkin' of going for and they have the above spec. I know this has been asked and asked before but I just need reassurance that they'll fit ok on the GTi as I'm not really into styling! Will I need a wheel spacer to get them looking good though?

Had a look at the Polo GTi alloys I mentioned in a now deleted post and they were in pretty poor nick so I didn't take them!

well if you think about it the standard GTi is like 43mm or 45mm l forget which so the 38mm offset would mean that the wheel would be `5-7mm` further out. Well thats how Erik at AAT explained it because he said that an Audi wheel of 35mm offset with a 20mm adapter/spacer would give it a 15mm offset so l'm pretty sure it will be 5 - 7mm further out but if thats with a mild lowering job you should be able to get away with it. Feel free to corretct me if l have the wrong end of the stick. I think its right as Erik seems to know his stuff.

Chris

If you need real assurance then ask AAt, they always seem to be willing to help.

Chris

Cheers Chris, found this, or sorry stole this off another VW site......

Offset is the distance between the hub mounting face at the back of the wheel and the wheel's centreline.

offset_diagram.gif

Offset is usually stamped or engraved into the wheel and is measured in millimetres of 'ET' [ET is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as 'insertion depth']

Positive Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the front face of the wheel. Most front wheel drive vehicles have positive ET wheels. Eighties and Nineties Volkswagen wheels are usually ET38.

Zero Offset wheels have their mounting face even with the centerline of the wheel and are by definition "ET 0".

Negative Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the rear of the wheel - powerful `rear-wheel` drive cars often have wheels with negative offset.

Super T's - An ass to clean but for a motorsport/Lupo Cup looking motor you don't get much better. Plus 16" is definately the size to go for.tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

They only thing i dont like with Super T's i still see them quite a lot on cars, i had them on my old car and that was a 2.5 years back, i cant help thinking they are a bit dated... 15's the size to get if you dont want to loose any speed biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I would rather have 15"s but these are such a good price! If I don't get them I'll get 15" ones. Getting them coloured white and I have red sparco mudflaps to go on as well! Going for the red/white/ blue look! Scottish members will be able to tell what football team I support!

16" will probably still weigh les than the bathursts as they weigh a ton!Surely won't loose speed if I get lowerr profile tyres so the overall diameter is the same as before?

Not really bothered if every other car on the road has them, just getting them as I like them and my bathursts are ****ed!

Yeah l agree , l've got 15's and reckon l'll stick with it for the street sleeper look but then if you really want some nice rims then 16's provide the compromise between looks and performance that alot of people are after.

My Kumhos have an amazin tread pattern smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> and i cant tell the difference between these and my old goodyears. I'd go for the Kumhos.

Only thing kumho's r good for is the strip!!!!

'edit' Opps for got to say that our Grp A impreza won the manxs rally last year on them!!!

Si what would be the closest 16's tyre combo to my original barthurts please Guvna :?:

It's all in the post already Marq :roll: Up there see, near the top of page 2 tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I'm still running 15s gargoil, so run mine 0.1 to 0.2 bar over recommended pressures on the fuel flap