17" wheel offset? - i know it's been asked before

alexfernihough

Hi Guys as you may already know i'm getting some new wheels on the lupo but could really do with knowing the correct offset for 17's

i know it's been posted before but cannot find it.

if i remember correctly it was 38 wich rubbed on the calipers and 40 needed a bit more arch work to make them fit, can anyone give me a DEFINATE answer as to what offset i need as i'm going to order them by mail order and save myself around £300 by doing so.

Standard Gti offset is 42mm.

Fin has 35mm offset 17's and his stick out further than std so rubbed his arches until he had them rolled.

i have 45mm offsety 17's. Dont rub the arches as much (still do though) but rubbed on the calliper CARRIERS on the front.

Me and Fin are both running 205/40/17.

You may notice however that some tyres have more rounded shoulders for better arch clearance so choose carefully.

I run Yoko A539 (with square shoulders) so a rounded shoulder tyre may give you less rubbing.

My wheels are 7inch wide and Fin says his are 8inch wide but i didnt think 8x17inch Kahn RSS were available. Both have same width tyres but i think Fin's wheel look better than mine as his look wider and make the car look fatter.

There are some good photo's of both our cars at trax somewhere in another post about 17's!! Useful for you to compare mate.