new to lupo's

Toi gulp

hi all,

just newbie saying hello, i'm currently driving a pug 106 but am looking for a Lupo Gti in the very imminent future (as a present for a new job lol). budget is around 6.5k and will travel for the right one and i beleive this is the place to come to start looking for one rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

kinda new to lupo's but knowing vw should be huge step in the right direction. Anyone know what are the GOOD/bad bits too look for on a gti?

any advice/directions would be cool

Andy

hi all,

just newbie saying hello, i'm currently driving a pug 106 but am looking for a Lupo Gti in the very imminent future (as a present for a new job lol). budget is around 6.5k and will travel for the right one and i beleive this is the place to come to start looking for one rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

kinda new to lupo's but knowing vw should be huge step in the right direction. Anyone know what are the GOOD/bad bits too look for on a gti?

any advice/directions would be cool

Andy

Welcome,

I got mine about 2 weeks ago,

I got a bargain as i paid just over 6k for mine, black, leather, aircon, heated seats, sunroof, all the mod cons and at 62k miles and it had its belts done too. For about 6.5k you can land yourself a nice model. GTI's are few and far between, finding a good one is hard. If you look at auto trader, pistion heads and here im sure your find a good quality one.

One thing id look out for is make sure that when the ignition is turned on, the engine check light comes on and goes out. if it stays on theres a internal electrical sensor fault, and if it flashes theres a cat problem. it should go out when the engine is started.

Another thing is, for about 6.5k your get a model thats coming up to about 50-60k miles. so the belts should be changed and it should have a big service. this could be in the region of £700 with VW unless you can do it yourself then its just oem parts that will be the cost.

Im still on the learning curve, german cars baffle me..... my old car was alot easier to work on as it was mostly mechanical!

Hope this helps

Check the headlights are working. Replacing a GTI headlight or bulb is mega expensive. One member here was quoted £600 to have a bulb changed by VW!

Another thing is, for about 6.5k your get a model thats coming up to about 50-60k miles. so the belts should be changed and it should have a big service. this could be in the region of £700 with VW unless you can do it yourself then its just oem parts that will be the cost.

Belts and tensioners need changing at 40k, not 60k. VW changed the servicing schedule.

Edited by philip_wilkinson1

Hi,

yeah ive been looking around for a little while just trying to get some feelers out about what i can expect to pay as i know that vw gti badging doesn't come cheap but get what you pay for eh? Piston heads, auto trader and here are showing a couple so enough choice but yeah definitely low on the ground, very doubtful bout buying of ebay though!

paying for reliability is definitely is an an criteria, (owning a peugeot there's forever an issue with it) grrr.

cool so service intervals and belt change if above 40k-ish are one point to keep an eye on ......mucho appreciated. mileage isn't really too much of a problem but like you guys say if its been looked after it should be grand as i certainly intend too.

Cheers guys, Andy!

• 2 weeks later...