Clutch problem - Oh dear...

Went for a drive on New Years day, nothing too spirited.

Its wierd, the clutch used to have a bite point when you let the pedal out about half way.

Now its within 1.5cm of the pedal hitting the floor. Its like as if the bite point has moved closer to the floor and theres way less travel to engage / disengage the clutch. Plus it feels rather jerky and noisy.

Anyone know whats up with it?

Any advice would be really helpfull.

M1.

your pedal box is ****ed

yet another one

common problem, look at some older nposts or do a search on pedal box as there are a few posts about this problem.

basically the mount for the clutch in the pedal box has snapped, if your car is under warranty then it will be covered by vw, if not then a new pedal box is £250 + vat and fitted is a few hrs of good monkey work.

Its under warranty at the minute, I'm going to see how bad it gets. If it really screws up I will get the garage to sort it soon, but its the 1st of March I get my new car so that will be problem solved for me.

• 5 months later...

VW I think may be admitting there is some kind of problem as they have started sending letters out to Polo GTi owners who have had problems with their pedal box, this post sums up what they are saying.....don't know if it will apply to the lupo!

i've just recieved a letter this morning from vw concerning the 'foot support' of the clutch pedal attachment and how it can 'fracture' and effect clutch operation and changing gears etc. For safety reasons they're being recalled and replaced free, I was just wondering if this will actually solve a any significant part of the pedal box/clutch problem and if anyone else has had the letter yet. I'm suprised to see VW are actually doing something, maybe we can get rid of this problem once and for all

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! i got same problem wi my sport. It was gettin difficult to change gears and finally gave way yesterday on the way home and having already called out Direct line rescue who's bloke only did a running repair! needs new pedal box and new clutch! £700 of repairs/parts, of which i'm payin £200 :cry: (its not on a vw warranty but a private 1 !) gettin fixed as i write this....

• 3 weeks later...

if its not under warranty then it can be welded back

its the clutch support which has snapped off the actual pedal box

this can be taken out and welded up and will be stronger than it was

it will save you about £250 for a new pedal box

but fitting it and removing it needs alot of monkey wrenching as the steering column has to come out as well

yeah i did

the release bearing had gone hard therefore putting more pressure on the pedal box and thats why it broke (so the service manager said) so they had to replace the pedal box along with the release bearing so he advised me to have the whole clutch assembly changed whilst the release bearing was beign changed so that i would only have to pay for the 2 plates of the clutch as the warranty covered the labour for fitting the release bearing.

• 4 months later...

*******!!! Got in a small race this evening and was trying to do a Micheal Schumacher ''quick change'' when the clutch pedal went soft sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> . Suppose i'm gonna have to take the pedal box out and have a closer look!!!

see ma arosa sounds like it has this problem ( 8000miles on the clock ) just when the car is cold its seems stiff ( had courtesy car and the clutch was sooooo light compaired to mine ) then as the thing heats up the biting point changes and some times is stiff then others its really soft ( also sometimes refuses to go into reverse) and occasiionally cruntches going into second