Looks like GTIs are peachy - Some other problems noted though

-Lupo 1.7 Diesel Hatchback 1999

Bought at nearly 4 years old from reputable VW garage. Within 2 months the gearbox has thrown its hand in. Fortunately it's still in warranty

-Today I found out my gearbox will need replacing. VW have told me they can not possibly give me a new gearbox (although it is under full warranty)

-However I've just be made aware that all Lupo's have a common gearbox fault, and VW customer care aren't interested that the bearings in the gearbox can easily come lose and cost a mere £1000 to have replaced

-Car needed the following work doing to it within the first 6 months and 9,000 miles

[1] New gearbox

Same here. And i also have that squeak in the rear suspension, now not fitting the springs till i get it serviced (600kms to go yay!)

Are gearbox failures really that common? I have an '99 SDi with only 23k miles on the clock, if failure is likely - I'm selling! I have no way that I can afford a £1000 repair on a car that has no warranty...

I have a '76 Beetle and '90 Golf GTi with original Engines and Gearboxes, what the hell happened to modern VW engineering??

@ Dubster: I don't think yours will fail if it hasn't failed yet. mine has failed three times in 44.000kms. Guarantee is expiring in three months so will speak to my dealer when i take it to service in 500kms or so. Wouldn't like to sell mine, anyway if i did i'd get another one in... Blue!! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

what the hell happened to modern VW engineering??  

You have just to look at some of the other brands to see that VW isn't bad, there are always going to be some problems with something as complicated as a car and those that have had the worst experiences are more likely to post on that kind of site. Makes interesting reading though.

Could be worse, you could have Merc build quality

A120 Diesel Classic 1.7 Hatchback 2001

My `A-Class` is a superb concept but is let down by the worst build quality of any car I have driven in the past 25 years - and I have driven very many different vehicles: a 1937 Buick limo, a 1953 Fiat and numerous modern Audis, Fords, Citroens, Renaults, Toyotas, Vauxhalls, etc. etc. My car has covered around 25,000 miles and is only two years old.  

However, to date it is on its:

- 5th set of front suspension antiroll bar links - the factory seems incapable of designing durable components.

-4th steering column - you can count on it wearing out around every 8,000 miles, leading to clunking and rattling.

- 3rd driver's seat base - they tend to squeal and slide from side to side in their mountings.

- 2nd set of front brake callipers - I've no idea why.

In addition, the car has required constant dealer attention around every couple of months for repairs to:

- the `over-sensitive` alarm system. It tends to go crazy about a mile after you drive away, typically just as one finds oneself in busy traffic!

- the felt trim is always falling off the interior of the tailgate - so my dealer has now resorted to `self-tapping` screws to secure it.

- rattles and squeaks from the rear seat and boot lid - they were last fixed around two weeks ago but have reappeared already

- rattles, squeaks and groans from the `low-rent`, `egg-grate` interior plastics - especially in the dashboard and central console area

- Misalignment of the front steering alignment on delivery leading to accelerated front tyre wear

- poor windscreen demisting in damp weather, i.e. just when you really want it to work

- the bonnet release mechanism seized

- both rear suspension arms needed treatment for rust (at less than 20,000 miles)

- the plastic exterior door handles become stiff to use and need lubricated

- the upholstery fabric is of cheap quality and gets dirty very easily

- the front floor mats only come with one Velcro sticker to secure them to the carpet and therefore 'creep' around the floral

I wrote a formal letter of complaint to `Mercedes-Benz` Customer Services. They then took five weeks to notify me that they were about to begin investigating my complaint and around a further week to telephone me with the derisory offer of £100 compensation for the inconvenience I have suffered.

I have asked for a replacement car. Don't buy an `A-Class` expecting traditional Merc quality for Ford

Don't get me wrong guys, I am a confirmed VeeDub enthusiast! I doubt that I would buy any other manufacturers products, I've got a '76 Beetle that I've had for 12 years, a '90 mk2 Golf GTi that I've had for a couple or years (even though I've known the Golf since it was new) and our Lupo SDi has been great apart from the premature death of the exhaust, but I put that down to low milage over three years in a coastal environment.

But, there does seem to be a lot of bad press about VW lately in regards of build quality and after sales service, which does worry me a little! Slightly embarassing too - as I speak so highly of the cars to other people ;-)

Saying that, VW number four in my life is a one week old Golf TDi 130PD, which so far has been great - feels as well put together as any other VW, I suppose only time will tell about reliability and service.

Does anyone else think that is very popular to bad mouth VW in the motor trade at the moment?

On me second Loop. Plenty happy. I do hear a lot of negative stuff. Know of two terrible salesmen in my local dealer, so travel to another where it has been what I expected. The service people always seem really stressed and overworked.

There'e been a few cases of chronic undersupply of certain parts and the thing on watchdog with the central locking.

Thanks for all the ideas and stories of doom guys!!!

Car goes back in tomorrow and I'll make sure the mechanic is hearing the same noise as I am this time. (How he ever thought it was an interior rattle, I don't know?) I'm not too bothered how major or minor it is cos of the warranty, I just wanna be able to drive along at 40 in 5th without making embarrassing noises,

Watch this space,

D A N

I havent even driven mine yet!! and already I have noticed a problem with the gearbox.

Just backing it off the driveway, every now and again it gets stuck in reverse, anyone else come across this?? Simply cant pull the gear lever out of the reverse position, but if you let the car roll forward slighty if comes free?? :mad: