Property Search, Advice, Help Welcome

KimmyJFK

Right last week my new flat mate who I haven't actually moved in with yet let me down and became a pain... although apologised I have a huge feeling it'll happen again. Anyway

The plan is to move in to Leeds with my best mate when I've settled into my new job and sorted out the problem flatmate so I've started looking early as we agreed summer time but as things have developed at my end were thinking closer to May, June.....

Anyway the question is I have seen loads of websites like the below and the flat/ apartment shown looks fantastic. Basically what I need to know is are these types of companies ones to be trusted......

Rung them up and the guy seemed a little dazed and confused and asked me to go to some viewings when I'm ready which is fair enough.

http://www.parklaneproperties.com/professi...1&three60=0

Also when I'm looking at bills to pay what do I need to look for, I can think of and how much?!:

Council tax, Tv licence - £15?, water, Gas, Electric.... Anything Else?!

Stressed is not the word to use at the moment

Edited by KimmyJFK

Council Tax - Band B/C/D (which will be city centre) will be about £110-£120 per month

TV Licence - think that's about £15 now - deffo no more than £20

Water rates & Managing costs will be included in your rent (I assume you are renting for the web site)

Your will apartment will probably be electricity only (most new ones are) so you'll be looking at about £40 per month - unless you go crazy with appliances.

Sky/Cable - you'll need that - about £20 pcm and you'll need broadband.

Should be about it. Plus don't forget food - when I moved into my first apartment I completly forgot to budget for food.

Council Tax - Band B/C/D (which will be city centre) will be about £110-£120 per month

TV Licence - think that's about £15 now - deffo no more than £20

Water rates & Managing costs will be included in your rent (I assume you are renting for the web site)

Your will apartment will probably be electricity only (most new ones are) so you'll be looking at about £40 per month - unless you go crazy with appliances.

Sky/Cable - you'll need that - about £20 pcm and you'll need broadband.

Should be about it. Plus don't forget food - when I moved into my first apartment I completly forgot to budget for food.

Thats pretty much perfect!!!

Broadband will be pretty much useless unless I get a works computer as I don't have one of my own. My friend will have hers but that will be her paying for it as I won't use it.

Water rates and managing cost is that most likely encluded then?!

I will be renting yes.

Contents insurnace, food and car and pleasures all accounted for......

That's correct - your landlord always pays the management costs for the apartment, becuase they own the property. Same with water rates and any gound rent payable for the leasehold (or rather it's built into your rent).

So all you pay is the PCM amount quoted plus utility bills and contents insurance.

Hope the move all goes well.

That's correct - your landlord always pays the management costs for the apartment, becuase they own the property. Same with water rates and any gound rent payable for the leasehold (or rather it's built into your rent).

So all you pay is the PCM amount quoted plus utility bills and contents insurance.

Hope the move all goes well.

Your a star well this seems easier then it was going to be I'll let you know how it goes!!! Want be for awhile yet tho!!

Might not be on Cluplupo as much as I am due to no computer access and I don't know how strict they are at my new work. blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

yeah the service charge (buildings maintenance, dunno about water) will be on top of the monthly rate unless stated and depending on the s****iness of the place could be upto £1500 per year, but it should be clearly marked on the advert/details.

contents ins will be £100ish per year I reckon (unless you've got a lot of specified items).

if you really want a computer that's good enough for the internet/word pro then just ask about, pretty much anything less than 5 years old will do the trick still, should have to set you back more than £100-£150 unless you want summat flash.

good look with the move!

All I can say is watch your timing - i thought my TV license was only going to be £11 a month but due to me taking it up in December it works out to £26 a month as I have to pay the whole license fund over a shorter time.

Council tax again will be similar, so you need to make sure you budget for things like that.

And if your not having cable you'll have to pay BT £11 a month for line rental too regardless of whether you take your calls with them. Some companies deal with this for you though.

Moving into a rented apartment is not that much of headache really -

I forgot to mention the admin charge that the letting agents will charge - could be a couple of 100. Plus you will have to put down a month and 1/2 rent deposit (which you get back at the end of your contract) and pay a month rent in advance.

If you have any troubles with anything nearer the time give me a PM - I've got some property management & letting contacts in Leeds we also have an office down there - so if you get stuck with anything, I'm sure we can sort it out between us.

All the best with it.

yeah the service charge (buildings maintenance, dunno about water) will be on top of the monthly rate unless stated and depending on the s****iness of the place could be upto £1500 per year, but it should be clearly marked on the advert/details.

good look with the move!

Sorry mate, not sure if I understand that - are you saying that she will have to pay £1500 a year buildings maintance?

If so, you must have a sod of a landlord - I've never known a landlord pass a maintaince charge onto a tenant. It's not normal practice.

you shouldn't have to pay an inflatged rate for tv license, the direct debit is a monthly charge, the only reason for an increased price would presumably be if you weren't paying for period of time you were in the property (so had gone into arrears). this is the same for council tax.... sort everything bills wise ASAP or it'll start to build up.

Thanks everyone for the advice...

It's not going to be for a couple of months yet so I have time to prepare. This threads been very helpfull and showed me the cost that I'm probably going to pay so this is all good.

I'd probably be sensible and get the Landlord to pay for the £1500 (well find a flat that does laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />)

Will let you know

Thank you!

water rates are not normally included in rent unless mentioned that they are in the ad.

try going for somewhere nice outside the city centre is best.

Also, try looking for local ads with a private landlord, gets away from the credit checks and all that crap that letting agents charge you.