Coilover suspension - H&R vs KW

Lupo_Loopy

Has anyone tried these two firms `top-of`-line sports suspension out?

What are the ride characteristics like compared to stock GTi shocks?

What are they like compared to the lowered springs & matched, uprated dampers route?

Did you think they were worth the £££?

By what sort of establishment did you get them fitted/adjusted, and what sort of £££ did it cost?

Cheers ears! 8)

Hi,

As i mentioned a while ago mate i looked into every brand of coilover on the market.

Last week i finally fitted my FK automotive ones.

These are top quality kit which are now set to -70mm rear (maximum drop) and -70mm front (with about another -50mm to go). Ride is better than std as it no longer rolls and bounces around. Shocks are koni adjustable which i have set to half way between hard and soft. Fitted myself in about 5 hours (including height fiddling and `re-adjustments`) and they cost £646 including VAT from Dubsport.

They even come with a sealing spray to prevent them sticking once fitted.

Only problem so far is that the drivers side driveshaft rubbed on the inner wing as my car is so low. Sorted with a wee bit of grinding. No other rubs what so ever though which is nice.

Hope this helps mate.

Sorry guys cant do pictures as i dont have a digital camera or the ability to even scan normal photo's!

It is very low but the drivers side driveshaft is still rubbing the inner wing so im going to have to higher the front tonight as there is no way i can cut the inner wing away as there is lots of weld about so it must have some structural function. TBH im annoyed about this as it is only on the drivers side as it has a longer driveshaft.

Dubsport posted them to me in 2 days (after i had waited 2 weeks for them to arrive at Dubsport from FK in Germany that was).

.....sorry forgot to add.

Yes i feel the cost was well worth it as the ride is absolutally fantastic. I also thrashed it last night to test if the driveshaft was still rubbing (it is) and really nailed it around some hard corners and it is way better than it ever could be std. Very little body roll, very stable with none of the old mid corner bump unsetlling, and yet it doesnt crash through holes. Apart from clonk as driveshaft hits inner wing, but im going to adjust the height to stop this asap.

I'm picking up my suspension this weekend biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Not being fitted though sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Matt ,Are you going to fit it yourself ? what suspension you getting and and what price if i may ask ?

Linc, you fitted them yourself, did you take the car in for wheel alignment ?, how do you know that both side are the same height ? do you count the threads on the shock shaft ?

Bwaaa, i want a set tooo

Nice one Darren - sounds like you've got a real lowrider!! watch out speed bumps - here i come!! can't wait to see what it looks like - well aggro' i bet! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'm getting Koni damping adjustable with Eibach -30mm springs.

It wont lower the car much, probably about 10mm, but should flatten it nicely because we know that as standard the rear sits fairly high.

Price? £200! (2nd hand, 6k miles on)

And I know I should try and fit them myself, but I'm a bit crap with mechanics blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> and I've got this image of me getting a compressed spring in my face. Or I'll forget to fit a bolt and the strut will come off while I'm driving along :sarc:

Right guys,

I am a designer for gas turbines so i am no mechanic but i do have a BIG INTEREST and a LITTLE UNDERSTANDING about cars so i was pretty confident about fitting cloilovers myself.

I did them trouble free really apart from setting the height which took a few attempts.

As an indication of how easy they are to adjust i raised all four corners of the car 10mm last night (to stop the driveshaft rub) and it took 45mins and i didnt take a single wheel off they are that easy to do!

To gauge height i do what Fin does. Just count threads roughtly then on a level floor take the following measurements.

1...vertcal height through centre of wheel to wheel arch lip (side to side height though this does not ensure car is level front to back).

2...Once happy both front sides and both rear sides are level i measure with a vernier calliper that the sills are the same height off the ground at the very front and very back edges.

Havnt had wheel alignment done yet. Tracking is spot on, im happy with my camber (that you set yourself when fitting the front struts).

Front tyres are about bald so i will get 4 wheel alignment when i get 2 new front tyres or 17's...whichever i can afford to do first.

As i quick indication as to my ride height,

Measure vertically up through the centre of the wheel hub to the arch lip.

Mine was 21.5inches all round (from floor to arch lip) though now its 22inches to stop driveshaft rubbing.

This equates to a sill height of 5 inches all round (5.5inches now).

Yeah im going to be bad and copy Fin.

I want Kahn RSS as i cant have RS4's.

I'd raise that up straight away, you'll feck your driveshafts in absolutely no time! Regardless of how much metal you cut out! I'm a bit shocked that you did this n the first place to be honest! Just because it will go that low, doesn't mean its safe to! What sort of camber is it running? If its too much, it could feck your wheelbearings as well!

It only really put a very thin scratch around driveshaft. ive raised the height by 10mm now and all is well.

Was really worried when i noticed it and did raise it straight away. Only ground waway a build up of excess weld, nothing serious.

Camber is about -1,2 degrees i think (done by trigonometry not by directly measuring angle). Not too worried about wheel bearings yet though they may proove a problem once the 17's are on.