Wheel clearance

LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

I am sure most of you know that I currently run 7x17" wheels on an ET45.

For the last 2 weeks I have been trying desperatelly to buy new wheels but due to availability problems I am faced with having a smaller offset that I would ideally like and I think it will cause me problems with clearance.

Am I likely to get 7.5x16" wheels on my gti with ET20?

By my reconing:

the ET will cause them to stick out a further 25mm than my 17's

the extra width will cause them to stick out another 6mm

if I drop to 195 tyres (from my current 205) that will give me 5mm extra clearance either side of the tyre

So if I am not talking rubbish the wheels will stand out an extra 26mm.

Based on the above and measurements from the car they wont fit...but...other on here have run 8" wide wheels and ET's lower than 20 and got away with it so maybe I am missing something?

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

as far as i can make out the et wont stick out a further 25 mm from urs because its a wider rim if i gather correct itll be about

itll be arount 19 /20 mm further out in total

but im sure sum w1 will corerect me on that

Your wheels will be 6.5mm wider either side (13mm/half inch overall), and the offset will be 25mm less, meaning the mounting surface will be 25mm closer to the centre line of the rim

i've just quickly sketched it out and done the sums, and your wheels will stick out a further 30.2mm on the OUTSIDE of the car

Going from a 205 to a 195 will drop that by 5mm, so Overall including the tyre (But not accounting for the angle of the sidewall)

image?

lincwheel.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

From what i've worked out useing my car to work from, they will fit. Each wheel would be 0.5mm wider at the outer side then mine. Dont think your get away with running a 95mm drop though wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> but with the 2-3mm you've taken out of the arch lip you might getaway with 60mm depending what 195's you go for.

Not been able to get on here this week as since the forum update I cannot log in on my work computer, only view as a guest!

Many thanks for all the help everyone. Also thanks for the offer Tigz.

I refuse to higher my car so it looks like ET20 is not going to be possible. I have moved things on slightly though now. Going to make some enquiries about a set of Borbet A a member on here has highlighted to me but also arranging to have a set of 16" x 7.5 ET35 Schmidt modern lines...not available I hear you say...well watch this space if the Borbets don't work out.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI