TDI tuning - anyone with experiences?

Lupo TDI

Hi forum (i'm back...)

Right now, I still don't know where I should get my Lupo chipped....I probably will go somewhere in Germany, but there's such a big choice of tuners. I'm thinking of SKN or Nowack or Wendland, because they all do the chipping on the dyno...so if someone has an idea, please tell me!

bye, Rudy

Guest ModdedCars

You'll get some serious performance if you get that chipped...108bhp and 186lb/ft of Torque!!

Compared to 125bhp and 112lb/ft of torque from the GTi, I bet the `in-gear` times of that would be better than a GTi....and you' wouldnt be far off on a `standing-start` sprint either...

Guest ModdedCars

You'd scare a few of the more powerful cars, I tell you.

Looking at some figures....you'd have more torque than :

A BMW 325i

A Civic `Type-R`

A Golf VR6

An Audi TT (!)

A Lexus IS200

A BMW Z3

The list goes on....And considering that your car is about 200/300kg lighter than these cars....

Poor gearbox, don't you think? And the tyres too...I guess that lots of smpke can be easily produced smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Next week I'll drive to Stuttgart to get my Xenon's smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> (Night driving is cool:D)

Well, I asked my dealer what they cost, and he ended up telling me that I would have to pay about `900-1000`€ only for the headlights........without the smaller ones! mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Now I'm getting them for 550€ plus the small ones smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> and they're new! Anyway, even if they weren't new and they're in good shape, I would take them.

Guest ModdedCars

I'm not sure if you have the same restrictions as us...

But the Lupo GTi has the `pop-up` headlight washers, apparently they are a law on Xenon lights, because when they get dirty they can "refract" the light, and be blinding to other drivers.

Has the Sport/Comfortline got these?

Heard anything about this? I'm not sure how true it is, jsut something I heard...

Guest ModdedCars

I should imagine the Aluminim panels dont come cheap...but you could badge it as a GT TDi, like the Golfs, which would be very sweet indeed biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Got the Xenons!

But since 3 days I'm trying to figure out how they should be connected.....I hope shao's pics help me with this one!

The idea of a GT TDI is nice, I would like to have the front grille (the GTI one) with an `all-red` (or yellow, as I've painted many things yellow...) TDI badge on it smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Guest ModdedCars

Don't Xenons require more `heavy-duty` wiring? They draw quite alot of power, and I've been told the reason they are expensive options on cars is because all the wiring to the lights need to be replaced???

Might wanna check that though.

I don't think that's true, because Xenons "only" have 35Watt, the halogen H4 55/60Watt, so I guess that Xenon works with the same cables. The guy who sold them to me had the original wiring diagram for the headlight connectors, the cables had the same "thickness" as the `non-xenon` ones smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> But there's still something I'm missing...or why aren't they working yet?......I'll go @ my dealer now andI'll ask them!

• 1 year later...
chipping on the dyno

???? beg my pardon whats that? Is that a way of making it undetectable?

I've been thinking about getting my car car chipped too, +32bhp an a huge gain in torque are massive incentives!

But I don't wanna lose my warranty though, is there a way getting it chipped and be still able to keep my warranty?

the problem with the xenon lights is the washers.

try this and you can see why dirt might ****** up the light.

turn you headlights on but leave full beam off. best to do it facing a wall. you can see you lights are dipped. now spray a fine spray of water dropplets on both xenon lights with one of thoughs in door watering squirt bottles with the `twist-able` nozzle. spray until the droplets form. stand back and admire how much the light is refracted. its almost as if its on full beam. this is why xenons need washer jets. to clear dirt. note however water dropplets would be removed whilst driving so this is why they have washer jets.

all though chipping your engine would give you more bhp and torque. the problem with deisel engines is nt that they have loads more torque and or the amount of bhp. its the fact that they can not take advantage of gearing. you cant stay in the gears as long therefore you get wooped! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

u get wooped? Sorry don't really understand

whipped! wooped! ass kicked, ragged, beaten, just some of my phrases i use. in jest

By "on the dyno" I meant your car put on a dyno (the "thing" used to measure your engine's power), and the new chip is being adjusted to your particular engine; because no engine will be the same.

I think that even with a chip on a diesel we would only have 1500 - 1800 useable rpm 's, so therefore we have to shift quite often. But we lose time in shifts and there's no gear left when you're in 5th.

I once had a better start against a Clio Williams and I pushed mine til 85kph, but then I was in 4th gear; I heard the Clio shifting in second when I was already in 3rd...and then of course, he passed by like a "jet" :sarc: :sigh:

i think abt did a golf tdi with 170 bhp but could be wrong i will check in the mag when i get home. they said it was scarey

An italian tuning company pushed a 150 hp Golf up to 220 hp; but after 4000km it was gone...but 190 hp seem to be fine for that engine smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Problem is if you have too mch torque, the Lupo will become `un-driveable`; if at least there was an LSD in there...

I'm starting to undertand what ppl are on about now.

Lupo Tdi is your Loop chipped? If it is, how much better do you think it is, eg has your `0-60` time got better?

Oh yeah, soory for being a noob whats an LSD? Some kind of drug isn't it??? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

No really what is it?

Hi smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

no, my Loop is still all original; and as kilometers add, I believe I won't chip mine...mine has 45000kms right now in 2 years; but if I chip it, it will be posted!

I presume `0-60` can be a lot better, like `1-1`.5 seconds better, which isn't that bad at all! And `in-gear` acceleration would be faster too, because torque will be increased by a lot biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> :thumbs:

LSD: Yep, that's a drug smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

No, in fact I meant a limited slip differential, that makes the wheel on the inward of a turn not to slip (oh, dear... what an explanation...); and so you get less understeer. I'm sure you noticed that when cornering.

I see what mean.

Can you amke you loop wheelspin all the way upto 4th gear? tried it yersday , wicked!

The LSD (Limited Slip Diff) baisically allows the two front wheels rotate at different speeds.

When taking a hard left turn, the inner wheel (left) wont move much, whereas the outer (right) wheel has a lot more distance to move to get you round the bend.

Therefore, if your turning left with the traction at its limit on the right wheel (so it doesn't spin) the inner wheel WILL spin because its got lots of power going through to move it only a short distance....

If that makes sense.

The GTi has EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) which can actually use the ABS system to brake individual front wheels at a time to keep them spinning at the same speed.