Gearbox Help!

I was checking the car over today, and I noticed an opening in the top of the gearbox, with the plug not fitted in. What is this opening for, and should the plug be pushed in? I checked the other lupo too and it was the same (they get serviced by the same person, maybe he forgot to put it back in?)

Well I pushed and plug back in, and this is what it looks like now:

IMAG0012.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Cheers for any advice,

Jon

Oh right ok, so the plug is just there to stop dirt/dust getting in then? Just seemed strange that both our cars had the plug loose. Maybe it popped out with vibrations from the engine or something blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Cheers, Jon

Yeah i would think just to keep the dirt etc out.

Strange how yours were both open, i would think once the plug is in it probably wouldnt pop out on its own.

So where is the oil checked and topped up on the gearbox then, anyone know?

Chris

It does stop dirt, but it's there as an inspection hole, so you can look into the clutch/flywheel assembly and line up the markings... just like Teflon said.

Putting oil in there, just dumps it onto your clutch and not into your gearbox. It doesn't really matter if the cap comes loose - your clutch will burn off any dampness or moisture that may ingress, and it's unlikely any debris will fall into it (unless you open your bonnet and drop something into it).

There's a plug on the side of the gearbox casing, for topping up/checking the level. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Disclaimer: The thoughts or comments mentioned by certain individuals are their personal opinions, and do not reflect the status or opinion of Club Lupo as an organisation. This does not affect your statutory rights. Please do not fold.