Advice please - selling a car

Linz

I am currently trying to sell my boyfriends Subaru Impreza. I have received the following e-mails - which seem too good to be true. I am quite sceptical and wary from the latest reply. Please can you give any opinions, or advice if you have been in a similar sitiuatuion yourself. What should I do?

Hello,

My name is (name), I found an advert online and it indicates that you want to sell (1995 SUBARU IMPREZA) at the price of £4,500 ,what is the last price it can go for? I will like to know..Please kindly help me send some more pictures if you have any available and i will want you to tell me the present condition of also.. Please get back to me ASAP, so that i can get this done because i will be travelling in the next 2 weeks for a business conference....

Thank you very much..

(name)

What initially made me cautoius of it is the poor English and grammar, however I wrote back anyway with a few details, said I could send more pics in a few days, and asked where he was located and how he intended to pay for the car if he was to buy it. Got this reply:

Hello linsey

I would have loved to come and see the car but i have a very tight schedule at the moment as im preparing to go for a conference im based in london, my wife loves the car so much as i have promised we are gettig it at all means.The last price (£4,500) is alright by me and also the pictures i saw. Then you can send me a contact address where i can send the payment to by cheque ASAP..

I will also want you to include the name the cheque will be issued to, personal phone number inclusive so that i could

always give you a call.....Car would be picked up upon cheque's clearance.....

Thank you

(Name & phone number)

My first thought was that if we send pictures and an address they will come and steal the car or somethhing like that. Am I right to be so wary? Any advice regarding what I should do next would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Linz

It does sound dodgy - I know cheques can be recalled even after clearing, so best to get them to pay by cash or building society cheque, or perhaps a bank transfer.

If they're a genuine buyer they shouldn't have a problem with the latter. If they do, run a mile.

I had loads of these when I was selling the lupo - learnt just to ignore them in the end.

Heard a horror story too about a friend of a friend who sold a 15k car to find out he'd been given fake id's and a wadful of fake cash.

Stay out of it... not worth the effort. Its a standard worded scam email.

Even if they do send a chq and it clears... up to 1 month later the chq can bounce.

Just send ur mates address and collect cheque of them(as long as they have no nice car on drive)

I hope your joking mate wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Definately sounds fishy to me, stay well clear.

Edited by GTi T