Stiff gear change

Andy MacBog

Hi Folks,

Just found this forum so I hope that you do not mind me asking a question without having contributed anything yet ....

I have the 1l Lupo and over the past few weeks the gear lever has been increasingly stiff to move. Have any of you had this same problem and what was it that caused it? I live in the middle of nowhere in the Highlands so getting her down to a dealer is a bit of a chore!

Thanks alot in advance for any help that you can offer!

Andy

hey welcome, don't worry about asking the question without contributing, we all have to start somewhere!

I've never experienced the problem myself, but i'm sure someone on here, might have, or might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck, and welcome once again

Pete

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well used to old land rovers but just starting to get my head around post-1964 technology! Good thing about Lupos is that you can drive past a petrol station without any fear ....

Here's hoping someone has a cunning plan?

Andy

Hello and welcome smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If you can get underneath the car just check the gear linkage, what i do is put some grease on mine just to help it and it seems to work, my gear box feels like new and the car has done 76k smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hi Loop GTI and VWR Lupo!

A good run does not seem to loosen her up much, although she is noticeably stiff to begin with, on some of the frosty mornings that we have here.

And funnily enough, I did go out last night and have a look at the linkage which is obviously low down and probably prone to getting a lot of dirt from the track that she has to bump up and down, on her way in and out of the cottage. The brakes suffer a bit too and the drums need a bit of a clean from time to time so I shall try the gease on it tonight and see how that goes . . .

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, they are much appreciated!

Andy

Could also be the start of the dreaded pedal box failure too as mine went like this just before it snapped. Does the clutch pedal stay low or does it return to it's normal position? If it stays low then get ready for the snap. It's ok though as mine got done free of charge from VW, so it's all good.

Could also be the start of the dreaded pedal box failure too as mine went like this just before it snapped. Does the clutch pedal stay low or does it return to it's normal position? If it stays low then get ready for the snap. It's ok though as mine got done free of charge from VW, so it's all good.

Hi Devon,

Thanks for the thought and the clutch pedal seems to be OK - there is no play and it performs normally. And I do not think that it is the lubrication either!

Looks like it might the garage as an easy alternative!

Andy

i had the same problem last week, stiff gear changes and slight crunching when engaging reverse.......took it to the garage where it just neeeded some tightening, whatever it weas that needed tightening but got the car back the next day so nothing major mate.