A couple of Noobie questions...

I removed the rub-strips and it left marks down the length of the car angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> ....it's a bit like the top layer of laquer was taken off with them. Any thoughts on restoration?

I also wanted to ask about the sound of the engine...mine is quite whiny/wheezy, is this a querk of the car or a symptom of problems?

And finally, smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> , my clutch is rather arkward. With full-lock on, the engine either over-revs or almost stalls...there's no middle-ground. It's quite tricky at junctions and so on but much more noticable with full-lock on.

Any advice appreciated.

I removed the rub-strips and it left marks down the length of the car angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> ....it's a bit like the top layer of laquer was taken off with them. Any thoughts on restoration?

I also wanted to ask about the sound of the engine...mine is quite whiny/wheezy, is this a querk of the car or a symptom of problems?

And finally, smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> , my clutch is rather arkward. With full-lock on, the engine either over-revs or almost stalls...there's no middle-ground. It's quite tricky at junctions and so on but much more noticable with full-lock on.

Any advice appreciated.

Have you tried polishing out the marks? If it's definatly laquer, then there's no choice but to get the laquer touched up.

What engine do you have? My Sport is tappy on idle, but give it some beans and it starts sounding more "sporty"

Check the cable for wear, or it could be a knackered friction plate, or release bearing

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

A slight whine under load is normal... Something to do with the breathers. I questioned it with VW UK on my gti before smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

chances are the cars had paint before and the rub strips were left on hence the raised paint around them,whining noise could be belt tensioner, engine tone difference on full lock is the power steering pump under strain.clutch could be anything really but the pedal boxes are prone to failure "clutch" area.