Black Diamond Discs

Tigz™

Was looking for some disc's for the Polo, and found a few options.

Black Diamond do a couple of different types (they are the same as the Lupo disc's as well I think?)

Drilled and grooved disc's are £146 including the delivery, I remember combo disc's causing some sort of problem, but I may be making it up to myself to buy cheaper ones?

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/pro...mhtml?id=149789

They do Grooved only for £127 including the delivery.

Once again, I don't remember what the crack was with these, better, waste of time?

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/pro...mhtml?id=149790

Drilled £130 delivered.

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/pro...mhtml?id=149788

Or should I be looking at sticking with normal disc's?

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Tigz

i would say unless you absolutely need grooved discs then dont bother to waste the money and just get plain normal ones, they are nothing more than just a fashion accessory on a road car and they wear the pads out quicker too.

and personally i would never ever use drilled discs on a road car, in fact they are banned in some countires, they can somtimes crack when they get really hot!

Edited by Teflon

280mm

100_5677.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

i would say unless you absolutely need grooved discs then dont bother to waste the money and just get plain normal ones,

and personally i would never ever use drilled discs on a road car, in fact they are banned in some countires, they can somtimes crack when they get really hot!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> lol better ban porsches and ferraris then oh yer and all the superbikes they all have drilled discs as standard lol

Edited by GTIEater16v

i would say unless you absolutely need grooved discs then dont bother to waste the money and just get plain normal ones, they are nothing more than just a fashion accessory on a road car and they wear the pads out quicker too.

Thats exactly what I thought I remembered reading smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks for the confirmation.

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> lol better ban porsches and ferraris then oh yer and all the superbikes they all have drilled discs as standard lol

the porsches are ferrari's have precision cast discs which are f-ing expensive to replace!!! they are not the same sort of standard as 'black widow' or whatever they're called. and i cant say that i've ever seen a porsche with factory-fitted drilled discs!!

and the difference on a motorcycle is that they are solid discs and not vented

Edited by Teflon

To add my 2p worth.

I have heard all the horror stories about drilled discs cracking etc. Like everything though, you get what you pay for. Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari all come with drilled discs so the priciple of using drilled discs for performance reasons must be correct.

I had drilled black diamonds on my Gti and they lasted 30k miles and no cracking at all.

I now have grooved discs and they are basically the same as the drilled in terms of performance but they dont look as good.

*Engineering head on*

A through hole that has a small countersink at either end (to remove the sharp break in / break out edges) is less of a stress raiser that those grooves that discs have where the groove has a really tight root radius down both sides. The root radius is a stress raiser in itself and a point where a crack may form.

Even taking worse case situation where a crack does occur. A hole will act as a crack stopper preventing the crack propagating until you next notice it (assuming you inspect your brakes now and again). A groove will allow the crack to propagate along its root radius pretty much un-noticed...

Why not get a standard 280mm conversion Andi? Apart from the one off calliper carrier cost the discs and pads are not much different to 256mm prices.

Id like 280mm brakes, the only thing that puts me off is the size of the rear brakes.

Once someone has done a big brake conversion on the rear and I can copy, I'll concider it.

I just think it makes the rear discs look tiny, and with those wheels you can see so much of the brakes.

*Engineering head on*

A through hole that has a small countersink at either end (to remove the sharp break in / break out edges) is less of a stress raiser that those grooves that discs have where the groove has a really tight root radius down both sides. The root radius is a stress raiser in itself and a point where a crack may form.

Even taking worse case situation where a crack does occur. A hole will act as a crack stopper preventing the crack propagating until you next notice it (assuming you inspect your brakes now and again). A groove will allow the crack to propagate along its root radius pretty much un-noticed...

that's probably also true, but i'm sure that drilling holes in somthing does make it weaker! not to mention that they have higher thermal loading too plus dilled discs also have a lower coeficient of friction than a standard disc.

the best way you can improve the perforance of the brakes on a lupo is to install air ductswhich feed a a stream of cool air to the centre of the brake disc.

I got some ATE powerdiscs on my car in the end. For only £55 a pair they weren't a much greater deal more than plain discs in the end. However I couldn't justify paying around £130+ for other branded grooved discs given the performance level of my car.

I just use ATE powerdiscs and ATE pads which so far seem to work well with nice levels of bite (not too much) but a good level of progression when braking. Not sure if its the disks but brake fade doesn't to seem as bad as when I had the standard set up.

Thats my thought anyway!

I've heard too that drilled discs can crack plus I always thought that the more drilled holes, the less friction as there's less surface area coverage.

Here's what mine look like DSC00340.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00341.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edited by g-man85

You can get ATE power discs from Eurocar Parts smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

what size are those ATE power discs

Standard sizes for lupo, depending on model i think.

Edited by VWR Lupo