loop or clio

jiminy

im strugling to find a lupo gti so am now considering a clio 172/182 as im fed up of my dads toledo

i have never wanted a french car, im wondering if this is irrational as they make great drivers hot hatches

i know the good and bad points of the loop but i know very little about the clio

any opinions please

I've had both, and love them equally. The VW is a stronger car, and more reliable (had several problems with the Clio engine - bought the car brand new, and never ragged it without warming the engine first etc etc), but despite that, was a cracking car to drive. Have you driven both?

Edited by Vixwagen

Id have the Clio if I could have fitted in one.

Why couldnt u fit in it? im 6 foot 4 and fit in a 172 cup that my mates got.

The seats on the clio are far far far nicer than the lupo (sorry as you can tell i have a think for those seats)

Id have the clio if you after performance, but looks wise and realiabilty and rearity and general coolness the lupo wins. Clio be more to insure tho, but tax they arnt bad on ( all i know is i was shocked by how cheap it was about 140 i think on the clio) And fuel the clio is as good and lupo gti if not better nate gets between 36-41mpg and thats about same as a lupo gti.

Oh and the 197 is now out, Ian (my mate) his mate that sold him it picked up his 197 and it kills his 172 by alot.

I've had both, and love them equally. The VW is a stronger car, and more reliable (had several problems with the Clio engine - bought the car brand new, and never ragged it without warming the engine first etc etc), but despite that, was a cracking car to drive. Have you driven both?

i have only driven the loop which i found a little disapointing but i prefer it in most ways to the clio

the reason the loop is at the top of the list is because im after an easy life, witch also needs to be reasonably fun to drive and which i would like to keep for a while (about five years 100,000 miles)

im expecting the clio to be nearly as good to drive as an integra type r

the big concern about the clio is, will it be unreliable? expensive to maintain once out of warranty and will it fall apart and rust very quickly

and is a 182 better than a 172?

i have only driven the loop which i found a little disapointing but i prefer it in most ways to the clio

the reason the loop is at the top of the list is because im after an easy life, witch also needs to be reasonably fun to drive and which i would like to keep for a while (about five years 100,000 miles)

im expecting the clio to be nearly as good to drive as an integra type r

the big concern about the clio is, will it be unreliable? expensive to maintain once out of warranty and will it fall apart and rust very quickly

and is a 182 better than a 172?

imo a lupo gti is good once u get it on coilovers, it could do with just being that extra bit faster.

I did tigz, it was a 172 cup with the normal sporty seats not the optional extra reacos, i found it amazing. Is it the reacos that screw up the seat space?

i can't really see what the issue is.

autotrader is full of lupo gti's, ebay has 2, and there are a few for sale on here.

how can u say u can't find one?

i have discounted the dealers because of the silly high premium

i also will only consider 6 speeders and no red ones

i think the 51s are to old and compared to newer ones look expensive

im not interested in modified ones unless they are to the highest standard and to my taste (no budget parts)

the main problem is i have missed out on quite a few realistically priced ones recently (because i had not got my loan ready) so im not prepared to pay more now for an lower spec car

if i decide to sell it in the next year (hopefully not) i would want it to sell in a week or two so would price it to sell as i cant be bothered with it hagging around for ages, if i pay over the odds now i will lose out badly

that leaves 1 but it hasnt got aircon and he is asking the same price as a car that has just sold for the same price which was newer, a better colour and lower millage so unfortunately it looks to expensive, if it had aircon it would have been a different story.

it doesnt help that you have to travel a very long way to look at cars and now that im considering the clio, all loops look expensive.

i have discounted the dealers because of the silly high premium

i also will only consider 6 speeders and no red ones

i think the 51s are to old and compared to newer ones look expensive

im not interested in modified ones unless they are to the highest standard and to my taste (no budget parts)

the main problem is i have missed out on quite a few realistically priced ones recently (because i had not got my loan ready) so im not prepared to pay more now for an lower spec car

if i decide to sell it in the next year (hopefully not) i would want it to sell in a week or two so would price it to sell as i cant be bothered with it hagging around for ages, if i pay over the odds now i will lose out badly

that leaves 1 but it hasnt got aircon and he is asking the same price as a car that has just sold for the same price which was newer, a better colour and lower millage so unfortunately it looks to expensive, if it had aircon it would have been a different story.

it doesnt help that you have to travel a very long way to look at cars and now that im considering the clio, all loops look expensive.

that is cos a 100k lupo gti is still really well screwed together, take a 100k clio and i recon it would be a bag of crap at that mileage.