pc help needed

i_want_a_GTI

i have loads of dvds which i would like to get stored onto my laptop, now i am able to rip audio cds to my laptop using media player, but it doesnt work for dvds.

i did speak to one mate of mine who said you need to get some software to do this, but he wasnt sure of the name of this program, any help on this will be great,

cheers mattc

ps if anyone does know this software and knows of a place to download it from the net, tht also would be useful

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

You can get a piece of software VirtualDrive10 etc. that gives you virtual drives, DVD or CD.

You install the software and make images of your disk on your hard drive, set up a virtual drive or 10! and away you go. I have a free version that only does CDs and it's good.

Sure you could find it for free if you know where to look.

S!

I use:

(i think it's called) DVD FabDecrypter to rip the DVDs into files on the hard drive.

DVD Shirink to compress the files and create a disk image (anywhere between 7-3GB size)

Then either a virtual drive to play them from the Hard Drive, or Nero to back them up onto disk.

Depending on the quality you want, I also have a program called DVD magic, which can copy a film into a video file of about 1GB or less but the quality is low - good if you don't have much space though

Edited by lunalupi

cheers ppl for all the help, i will try your recommendations and see what i find easiest to use, it all seems very complicated as to what to copy them as and so on,

what type of file would i copy them as to my hard drive to allow me to watch them on media player and simply burn them onto disc without converting them again??? its all to much for me huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

thanks again biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The method I use is pretty simple smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> There's lots of steps, but alot of them are just point-and-click then you wander off for a cup of tea...

What quality do you want, and what do you want to do with them once they're onto a disk (use as backup copy, play in DVD player, play on pc etc)?

well once there on the computer then i would like them to play as high a quality as possible, almost the original dvd quality with a full screen, then on disc i would want them to be playable to the orignal quality on dvd player.

is tht asking to much or is it achievable??

ps if i were to buy some software to do this, which would you recommend??, and how much roughly we looking at

If you want to do that i'd recomend the first method I said smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

its pretty easy:

DVDFab Decrypter you just whack the disk in and press start.

DVD Shrink you have to adjust a few settings for the quality you want, but its self explanatory, I managed to get it sussed in about 5 mins. I always make disk images, but you can make other files. You will lose quality, especially if you are compressing it alot, but i have some DVDs which are unnoticable as being compressed.

(see, i even gave you links to make it extra easy wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> )

Then you just need to get hold of Nero for burning the files onto disk, or a virtual drive for playing the disk images you made with DVD shrink (I have Alcohol 120%, but theres loads of other options)

Start out with that, see how you go, and if you need a different method ask again smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by lunalupi

Thanks lunalupi, thts really helpfull!

cheers biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> thumbup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbup:" border="0" alt="thumbup.gif" />