Roof aerial problem!

welshguy

How about:

1. Unscrew aerial from car.

2. Remove end cap from aerial (opposite end to the threaded end). Might need heat to loosen the glue.

3. Hacksaw the aerial to exactly half its original length (no more, no less - it needs to be this length so it will be twice the original division of the wavelength (if you see what I mean))

4. Replace cap over cut end (glue it maybe?) and screw aerial back onto car.

If you made sure that the twisted wire is now exactly half the length it was before, there shouldn't be too much of an effect on reception.

The above will keep the OEM look and is free. Alternatively, just go for the next cheapest / least hassle option and get a decent beesting?

Deek.

The problem is that the spoiler is hitting the base of the aerial lower down (see some pics on the first page) - so no matter how short the aerial goes it still hits, unless he fancies one thats about an inch long.

Hence discussions on moving it fully along the roof wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by lunalupi

The problem is that the spoiler is hitting the base of the aerial lower down (see some pics on the first page) - so no matter how short the aerial goes it still hits, unless he fancies one thats about an inch long.

Hence discussions on moving it fully along the roof wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

you can by 30mm ariels of ebay! im getting one for mine tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHORT-DESIGN-ANTENNA...1QQcmdZViewItem

10quid job done! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I know it's stupid without having in built sat nav, but i think it will allow me to move the aerial enough forward while covering up the original hole.

VW still dont know why it's hitting laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> but arent going to pay for the aerial to be moved and old hole filled, sprayed etc.

But the part dept have said they will pay for one of these aerials if i manage to find one at a breakers. New price is £120 just for the base!

And u never know, someday i might get round to installing sat nav and i will already have the aerial for free! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Just want to know if the aerials would simply swap over, but leaving the GPS connection on the aerial free? just using the radio connection. I think they have 2 connections instead of 1 (1 for gps and 1radio)?

thanks

huw

• 3 weeks later...

Thought i'd let you all know how this went coz a few said to keep them posted.

New aerial has been fitted so i can now open the boot! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Only ended up costin me £20 extra on top of the spoiler so it aint bad.

Thought i'dpost a pic as well

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/rob...15062006023.jpg

looks ok dont it. better than a gromit.

The main thing is that i can open the boot without bendin the aerial and roof.

Thanks for all the help smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Huw

• 1 month later...
Thought i'd let you all know how this went coz a few said to keep them posted.

New aerial has been fitted so i can now open the boot! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Only ended up costin me £20 extra on top of the spoiler so it aint bad.

Thought i'dpost a pic as well

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/rob...15062006023.jpg

looks ok dont it. better than a gromit.

The main thing is that i can open the boot without bendin the aerial and roof.

Thanks for all the help smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Huw

welldone for gettin it sorted out mate looks absolutly fine smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> i quiet like it smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />