Lupo 1.4 (16v) brake upgrade

Whilst changing the wheels on my Lupo 1.4 16v (T reg) I noticed the front brake disc edges had started to crumble. I was just going to change them but as they dont appear to be the best brakes in the world I thought I might upgrade the disc and calipers. Is there any other VW models that would be a direct bolt on replacement ???

i wouldnt say thats a reason to change them, its just the way discs wear i think.

However if they are worn a lot of people go for different carriers which allow for a bigger disc, but there is some debate on the effectiveness of this.

uprating the discs, pads, fluid and hoses should see a fair improvement.

if you upgrade to different calipers (eg. 4-pots) u would need to look into upgrading the servo aswell

The calipers you have are fine.

They are the same type of caliper as the majority of VAGs.

What you havn't said is if your car is a Sport (centre exit exhaust) or a 75bhp 'S'

If its the latter, your pretty much stuck with the same size discs you have, unless you replace the wheel hubs as your caliper carriers are built into the wheel hubs.

If you have a Sport, then you can pretty much go for what you want.

280mm discs, and the caliper carriers from a Corrado G60 is a nice easy upgrade.

Theres a set for sale, (although I dont know if they have gone yet) in the classifieds.

This is £400 worth of brakes, that he wants £150 for them.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18922

fitting280mmbrakes010.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

if you upgrade to different calipers (eg. 4-pots) u would need to look into upgrading the servo aswell

Eh?

Why?

Eh?

Why?

cant quite remember at 1am, but was mentioned at college last week. something to do with the extra ______. ill get back to you after reading my notes

heres how i tried to remmeber it:-

imagine the calipers are a door your trying to break down, and the servo is a battering ram

putting more locks on the door requires more effort to break, or a bigger ram

more pistons is like more locks

please tell me im chattin **** so i can go back and call the lecturer a to55er

o, ok.

just crappy fords then lol

Theres a set for sale, (although I dont know if they have gone yet) in the classifieds.

it says theyre sold.

while on the topic of brakes, does anyone know the min thickness for sport discs before they need replacing?

all 4 of mine are slightly lipped but look like they will last another 6months, but im not sure how thin vw reccomend you go.

the car is a 1.4 16v AHW non sport, i know this as its my brothers car biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

havet ben on here for a while but i rememer reading about the raddo upgrade, didnt realise it was for sports only though, the cars running 15" G60 steels, so clearence isnt a problem, what else stops the corrado brakes from fitting

Like I say, the wheel hubs have built in caliper carriers.

So the hubs would have to be changed to fit bigger discs on.

sorry should have read it again smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />