VW SAT - what puts you off buying it?

thehammer

Just noticed on another thread that someone is selling some VW SAT Navs for 400 notes.

The Sat Nav does look sweet in the dash but the only thing that bothers me is how easy are they to rip out??? Do they come with a blank piece of plastic to hide it when not in use ?....surely they just invite car thiefs?

My dad's ford ka got broken into and cops said there were 2 other fords in area who had their factory cd players stolen ..must av been a shopping list jobbie... so surely a factory sat nav will be even more of a sitting duck???

cheers

hammertime

Well, good little debate. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

One of the reasons why I chose an MCD unit over an MFD (other than the price difference at the time) was the fact that the MCD looks like a boggo double DIN VW CD player. Marseille is far worse for car crime than the UK, so I was a little worried at the time.

On the plus side with these units, they aren't that easy to pop out, if you did it in a hurry you'd be more likely to do more damage than good, and trash the unit. Even if you have the keys, they are pretty stiff little buggers at times.

The end of the day, there will always be a risk, the only reason I think the Lupo might fare better is that stealing to order theives would not be looking in Lupo's for these units, they'll be targeting Boras, Golfs and Passats mainly.

My car is garaged 90% of the time, so its not so much of a worry now to me, but I can understand anyone who is. If we all spent our time worrying though, where would we be?

I know it's a much cleaner, easier to use option but when you can pick up a Garmin i3 for £160 the official one is expensive in comparison.

But also MUCH MUCH easier to steal. Most numpties leave the units in the car, and often leaving the unit in the dash or boot is not enough, they can see the mounting bracket and take the chance thats its hidden away somewhere.

Plus, they maybe £160, but I'd gladly pay double to have a neat solution, as opposed to stuff mounted all over the dash with wires everywhere.

Edited by AndyW

On my MCD, the navi CD-Drive will play CD's, on the MFD's they will only play the navi disks, so you need a changer or a link to an iPod or Phatnoise.

Same goes for the MFD 2's you get in brand new VW's today.