bigger alternator required - i need one!

anyone know what power the standard alternator is?

i have just massively upgraded my stereo to this...

2x rockford fosge hx2 12" power subs

1x rockford fosgte 1587w RMS amp

1x rockford fosgate 415S RMS vocal amp

1x rockford fosgate power cap

1x rockford fosgte 3 way component set (2x 6.6" bass driver, 2x 4"mids and 2x 1" tweeters)

so i need to keep the battery topped up with more power than the standard unit allows

can anyine help?

You should be ok. maybe just change to a yellow top (or i think the exide maxima's are supposed to be better). Im running three powerfull amps with only a 1 farad cap on 1. The lights dim a bit but its generally fine.

Im sure if you threw an uprated alternator in for good measure things would be better. Unfortunatley, i couldn't tell you what to go for. sorry. Just go to a stereo shop an they'll tell you what to do and how to do it.

the batery in the lupo gti is bigger than a standard one anyway.

plus there is no point getting a bigger battery as the only reason for mor epowerfull batteries is if you have the stereo on for long times without the engine running and the stereo up.

the problem is even if you upgrade the battery and not the alternator you will be worse off because the bigger battery needs more power to fill it. and if the standard alternator doesn't fill the standard battery then it's got no hope with a big battery.

i've found someone who can ship 200amp universal alternators to the uk for £170 each plus postage but i need to find a few people who are interested before buying one, to lower the postage.

The idea of changing the battery is not to have a bigger battery. You replace it with a deep cycle one. This will be able to take abuse (as in, getting drained when the bass drops) again and again whereass a standard battery will suffer and never fully recover.

As i said before, you dont need to change the alternator but it wouldn't hurt. Im running more power than you and my system has been running fine for 2 years. (that wasnt meant to sound arsy, sorry)