What The HELL is going on with this????

Vendetta

Came out of work last night, unlock my door with the key (as you do to get in). As the key turned both windows came down all the way and then the key got stuck in the lock and will not come out at all!!!

My loop did unlock the doors but i was stuck, i phoned tha AA and got them out, they couldnt get the key out either and so i was towed home so i could get my spare key to get the windows back up and see if i could then get the key out.

I got the windows back up but as soon as i tried locking the car again overnight, the fecking windows came down again and it wont lock. So last night i had to block my car in the drive with our other car cus my car was left with both windows down and the main key in the lock in the door!!!

I got one of those full car covers to put over my car so that a, no water/rain cud get in and b, so that no one could see that the key was stuck in the door....

has this EVER happened to anyone before or does anyone know if it happening to anyone else?? The AA man certainly saif it was the strangest thing he had ever seen, and to finish it off nicely, the car ran out of warranty about a week ago ffs :@:@:@:@

Any advice greatly appreciated - Ven

MMM does sound strange... OK heres my thoughts on this... You may or may not be aware that there is the ability to open both windows at the same time on open and close them both on closing the car.Thisis a standard feature on most electric windowed VAG Cars. It would appear that the locking mechanism has jammed in the open position (you don't say blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> ) The only way to resolve this would be to disconect the solonoid that locks the doors and opens/closes the window and look at the lock. It may be that when you disconnect power from the solonoid it would release the key or make it easier to remove. It sound like to me there is a faulty switch on the back of the lock which activates the solonoid which in turn locks/unlocks the door and then after 3 or 4 seconds it triggers the windows to open/close... Either way its the switch or lock jamming open..If the car is still under VW Warranty it would be a warranty thing.If not then a hammer and screw driver or tallented engineer....

Good luck and let us know

Oh yeah and firstly try this Disconnect the battery and see if you can get the key out or lock the car?

Edited by Marqs_Loopy

My girlfriend had this happen to her in Morrisons carpark in her Mk4 Polo, which uses the same lock/barrel setup as the lupo. (although there not the same as the lupo's blade (see below) is slightly shorter, I know cause I had a spare Lupo handle and tried repairing it with that.)

I ended up having to strip the doorcard etc and remove the handle, there is a blade type affair which comes off the end of the barrel and into the locking mechanism this has fallen apart angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> jamming the key over to one side not letting it be removed.

If your completely stuck (which is sounds like you are) I managed to strip the lock remove the key and reasemble the handle/door so that at least the car could be used all be it only locked/unlocked from the passenger side.

All done in the middle of Morrisons I might add!! lucky i'm a mobile service engineer laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Went to a scrappie the next day and stripped a lock off a Polo and "liberated" rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> the bits I needed (the blade bit which had snapped).

You problem sounds the same it is simple to recitfy though.

HTH

Edited by 89Rallye

Well i have given up, i am certainly no mechanic.. i will have to have the morning off work and take it to a grage and get them to do it sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> thanks for all the suggestions tho folks biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I had exactly the same thing happen with my T reg 1.4 Lupo about 2 years ago.

The key just would not come out!

I had to take it to VW who said part of the lock cylinder had broken . . . . they charged me £32.11 for a new lock cylinder, £67 for labour, PLUS VAT giving a grand total or £116.45

Pretty damn expensive but I what could I do? angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

Bloomin ell cliveski they proper ripped you off mate why didnt you just tell them to remove key and you would open and close by the remote

Edit: Just remembered that the lupos are key locking only unless you fit an alarm etc blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Edited by The subtle modder

Pretty damn expensive but I what could I do?  angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do it yourself for about a fiver max confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> Sorry guess you dont want to hear that laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Yeah, I'm older and a little wiser now rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

At the time I had no option but to take it to VW as I didn't have any know-how on what to do (I asked on this forum but no one could help) and with the ignition key stuck in the door it needed fixing like yesterday!

The funny thing is it shouldn't happen on my present Lupo as it's a GTI and I can use the remote biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> also I'm de-locking both front doors soon too (I have the parts I just need to paint them) wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />