KN air filter installed - wicked!

thehammer

Just thought I'd drop a post to say that I have put a KN air filter (cone) on my Lupo GTi and it is excellent. It really roars from 2000rpm and its not OTT at all, its quite a deep roar.

The only downside is that it encourages to drive faster :-)

It only took 20 mins to put on and can keep my engine cover aswell.

hammertime

pics - will try! been meaning to put pics of my lupo up, had it for 8 months!

The engine cover is attatched at the front only, its still level aswell and wont come loose. Its just the engine cover used to hook onto the original air box at the back, so because thats not there it has nothing to hook onto. But as I said its not loose at all and you can't tell anything different.

Ive attached the cold air feed it runs from a space in the grill upto the filter and is held in place by clips.

It just feels more responsive and meatier, suppose its just the novilty factor.

hammertime

andi best way of getting plenty of cold air to the rear of ur engine bay will be to cut a hole in the front panel so that air coming from the grill will pass though, then make up a bit of piping and lead it straight to the rear of the engine bay. you making a box around ur throttle bodies or leaving them open?

I dont think it makes a diffrence how goo a cold feed you have.

If the overal temp in the engine bay is high, your not gonna get any benifit.

Its not as if the filter only takes in the air thats just come through the air feed.

Getting warm air out the engine bay is more important than getting cold air in imo.

i loved the sound the gti made with the k∧ filter. cold air is much better for the engine. my s2000 used to kangaroo due to too much hot air in traffic. once moving though the engine bay would be allot cooler and would not be much need for a cold air feed i rekon. heat soak is a problem too.

i think you will be surprised how loud the filter is. my friend drove my lupo behind me in my s2000 on the day i went to sell it. allot louder than you think! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

If you take that line andi then that makes all mods like exhaust, filters etc not really worth it in your book!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Filter and exhaust will help it breath, and help it rev easier.

But give you any noticable increase in power?

I wouldn't say adding only a filter is really tuneing.

Its more for the sound surely?

Its obvious a cold air feed is better than non, my point is, I dont think you could notice a 1bhp loss or gain.

I dont think Ive changed my tune.

What I have been saying from the start is, that weather you have cold feed or not, your not going to notice any diffrence in power.

Theres no question cold air is better than warm, I just dont think you'd notice it.

But yes a roling road does lie.

I have never heard of anyone on here having a run on a rolling road, then fitting the filter and having another run.

Theres too many things to take into account to have an accreate rolling road measurement.

tyre pressure, tyre size, weight of car, etc all have to be taken into account by the rolling road operator.

I read a book writen by a operator of a rolling road.

he says theres no rolling road company out there, that will work all this out on a rolling road day.

Its only an estimate.

I forget the figures, but I think it was 10bhp more power after he pumped 5psi more pressure into the tyres.

I'll check and conferm when I get home.

I forget the figures, but I think it was 10bhp more power after he pumped 5psi more pressure into the tyres.

I'll check and conferm when I get home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wrong way round mate, if you take psi out of tyre then you get higher bhp reading, but yes you can change it just by changing tyre presure

I have never heard of anyone on here having a run on a rolling road, then fitting the filter and having another run.

That doesn't mean it doesn't make a difference.

Theres too many things to take into account to have an accreate rolling road measurement.

tyre pressure, tyre size, weight of car, etc all have to be taken into account by the rolling road operator.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And none of it matters in the slightest for doing comparison runs. As long as you accept that neither bhp figure is going to be accurate (and let's face it, who cares if you have 125bhp or 130bhp except for boasting down at the pub), you can still use the rolling road to compare the difference before and after adding a modification - the percentage increase is the important thing.

Whether it has a cold air feed or not might not make a huge difference to the performance, but every little helps. Think how much difference an intercooler makes in turbo applications.

you can still use the rolling road to compare the difference before and after adding a modification - the percentage increase is the important thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry thats the point I was trying to make.

Its only of use to test a before and after.

Think how much difference an intercooler makes in turbo applications.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know enough about that to comment.

I dont understand why cold air makes such an impact on a forced induction engine, compaired to minimum diffrence on a and/A engine?

Sorry thats the point I was trying to make.

Its only of use to test a before and after.

I dont know enough about that to comment.

I dont understand why cold air makes such an impact on a forced induction engine, compaired to minimum diffrence on a and/A engine?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well coller air has more atoms of ...... per area