Front Shock Absorbers

VestanPance

Hi All,

I've just discovered that the front shock absorbers on my GTi have given up the ghost (a little annoying after only 56k miles, but hey ho!).

Original OEM dampers appear to be no longer available, as do Bilstein B6. I don't want to go down the coilover route and would like to keep the car as original as possible. 

Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative?

Thanks.

There are loads of OEM equivalent alternatives. Polo? Seat? Skoda? Don't forget that the big brands simply manufacture for the likes of VAG. It doesn't need a VW stamp on it. In fact even some Nissans and Fords use the exact same part.

Thanks for the reply.

It appears that there's no OE spec aftermarket damper specifically for a Gti, though. There's plenty for the other models, but I was under the belief that the Gti uses a specific damping rate that was different to the other models. Am I wrong with this?

Thanks again.

You're probably right actually. But I think the rate will be very close, mainly because the weight over the front wheels is near enough identical to most other 4cyl petrol models. Diesels are much heavier and need stiffer shocks (the coils are thicker too, I found out to my cost of a wasted weekend).