Passenger door lock issues :/

Trinity

Hi, just joined to see if anyone's got advice about my problem. I've got a Seat Arosa and the passenger door has recently decided it doesn't want to open. Took off the door card today and unclipped the wiring that runs to the window switch, when I plugged it back in the door lock was working perfectly for about 5 minutes now it doesn't want to unlock again. Could replacing the window switch have any effect on the door lock? Or is there a better chance of the wiring being faulty? Any advice is helpful, still learning a lot about cars :)

Yeah, it's most likely the lock mech and microswitches (inside). Such a common problem to all VAG cars, plagueing everything from Lupos to Phaetons. Octavias to Arosas.

Worst case is when it's the rear door that has decided to stay deadlocked in something like a Polo. Bloody nightmare to fix. Usually you end up destroying half the car interior to get to the bare door, so you can drill it out. Once watched a Phaeton rear door fail- and get fixed. Over £2k to sort it. Madness.

Oh, and welcome to CL :)

Edited by mk2

Thanks for the reply, think it's worth me buying a new lock mechanism and trying to fit it myself? Rather not spend that much on it, the whole car was 2k I don't fancy spending that again ha. It does look like a pain to get inside the door though there's only some small openings in the panel itself for access :/ 

Happy to be here though! :)

Yeah, any equivalent replacement should be fine. Ebay sellers. Lots available, as very common problem. Buy new of course. Ideally a branded unit, like Valeo or Meyle etc. Take care removing the key lock bit from the door so the retaining ring doesn't drop out. Seal inside well once done so the rain doesn't get in afterwards. 👍🏻

Lots of pics for all of us to inspect please!

Update- took the door card off again to have a look at how to actually take off the lock mechanism. Decided to clean up the connectors from the window switch with some electrical contact cleaner and that seams to have fixed the problem!? Not sure why that connection would effect the lock but it's been working okay for a day now. Locks and unlocks perfectly but I've kept the door card off just incase it stops working again... 

20240321_083552.jpg

20240321_083630.jpg

20240321_083706.jpg

20240321_140209.jpg