sterring wheel

hey i put my car intoday to get the crake fluid changed and when i get it back surprise surprise summit else is wrong. the steering wheel is making a whining noise when i turn it . i took it back in and their guy said its either the coilings (i think thats wat he said) or the abs ring. so they are going to have to take the steering wheel off to fix it. do u think i should just leave it cause u dont really hear it when i have my cd player on! im more worried they will end up screwing up summit else like my airbag or summit.

tis not the abs ring but the airbag ring, mine had it changed and now two years after that its stated making noises again, tbh i wouldnt change it, just get some spray to make it stop making that noise, but thats just me cos im fed up with vw service, not the actual garage service but the selling dept, they dont give a crap if you have serviced the car with them so it will be quite some time till i buy a new car from vw.

sorry bout the offtopic bit i had to write it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

What do you mean be whining?

If its just on full lock then thats the power stearing pump and normal.

or

Is it whenever you move the wheel, sounds like grit and comming from the steering wheel? In which case the horn pick ups need a clean (Get some paper and give the pick ups a good rub.

OR

Some thing else?

does it sound like there is grit grinding?

if so then its the airbag slip ring

common problem with polo's

i have had 2 of them under warranty

they are about 70quid or so i think

if your car is under warranty then have it done

if not then spray some WD40 or something

• 1 month later...

God I love search functions at times!

My wheel just started making this noise on Wednesday night, the car still drives OK and I've only had a cursory look so far but it sounds exactly like there is grit trapped in the joint between the wheel and steering boss cover.

The car is still under warranty so it can go into VW to get fixed if I can't get it done myself along with all the other rattles!