1.9TDI Swap - speedometer

Zany

Hi guys!

I just started converting my 1.4TDI Lupo to a 1.9TDI PD130 with a 6-speed gearbox from Seat Ibiza 6l.

So far I have all things sorted out except how to wire the speedometer. Original gearbox have speed sensor on it but new 6gang doesnt have one. And Lupo doesnt have ABS either.

What are my options? 

New engine is ASZ and gearbox is FJW

Thanks!

Lots of pics please!

You'll need to have parts of the ECU software deactivated.

I think you'll have to add an ABS sensor and a driver box. The Ibiza uses a shift sensor to know what gear it is in.

I will try to documente as much as I can :)

Adding an ABS sensor is my last chance because finding a suitable part in my country is a pure nightmare. Or is it any relative simple way to do it? Is there a way to add a sensor to a gearbox?

You could make something. if you glued tiny magnets around the edge of one of the gearbox output flanges, you could add a hall sender or reed switch type thing to act as a pickup. Hey, maybe even a crank sensor might work! You have to experiment a bit, to get the output signal right, and the pulse speed correct...?

I've never dismantled the speedo sensor, so not sure how it works. There are 3 wires to it. But the mechanical input is something like 4 rotations for every wheel turn. You'd have to try and copy that.