Are all 1.4 tdi basic engines swappable?

Just wondering what base engines are equivalent to an AMF lump, if you strip off all the bits and swap them over? 

My guess is that the basic 1.4 3 pot block and head are the same on all skodas, seats, audis and vdubs. But I don't know. Obviously manifolds are different, as are all the bolt on bits. I'm pretty sure the camshaft is the same as I recently did a cam swap on a Polo- using a cam from a 9n 2009 1.4 tdi, into a 2001 AMF lupo head. Worked (works) just fine. :)

I've been asked if it's false economy fixing up an older AMF lump, as you can pick up later complete 1.4 TDI engines for peanuts now. Plus I don't really want the hassle of changing the oil pump chain in an old AMF. The kit costs more than a used complete base block and head. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Plus you need to pull the engine out anyway, so while out, just swap it.

Any ideas anyone? 👍🏻

hi MK2

in any case if you put another engine from another brand SEAT or vw as long as it remains an AMF or other but it remains a 1.4TDI you will always have the problem of the oil pump chain,  after that, don't have any illusions, in any case you will have adjustments either to the engine mounts or to the accessories that will take their place on the engine block

Edited by tchouki85

Yeah, just thinking "out loud" i guess.

I know all the bits can be swapped over, but just wondering if all the 'short' blocks (and full lump) are the same...? Like from a late Polo or an Audi. There are so many 1.4 TDIs in breaker's yards now. £100 an engine if you pull it yourself. And if from a crashed car on 50k miles, you know it's gonna be ok. Probably worth getting the box too at £75!